chapter forty-three ✔️

januarie robinson- november 16, 2020 -

januarie robinson
- november 16, 2020 -

THE SCREEN LIGHT BARELY LIT up the hallway I walked down. Running lights lined the base of the wall, but they were never much help. I placed a hand on the railing to guide myself towards the screen. Lights flashed and the noise almost deafening to my ears from the action sequence that took place.

            I listened for only a few seconds before putting my hands over my ears in order to block out some of the noise. No one was talking and the sound was fine, but after that it was just killer on the eardrums. Taking a few steps forward, I looked at the people. They all watched the screen, completely oblivious to my presence.

            Stepping back, I leaned against the railing. Once the action passed, I removed my hands from my ears. Someone grabbed my shoulder. Jumping, I slapped a hand over my mouth to keep from screaming.

            I dropped my hand to my heart, "You scared the crap out of me." I whispered, glaring at Lucas through the dark and smacking him in the shoulder. Every time I saw him, all that entered my head was the bar and that kiss. Then it took everything in me to just keep up a conversation.

            He tried not to smile, but he couldn't seem to stop it, "I'm sorry," he shook his head, "my intention wasn't to scare you."

            How could he possibly stand there and talk like that? As if everything was completely fine between the two of us. I had to bite my lip because all I could think about was kissing him.

"What was your intention?" I whispered back.

He looked at me. Really looked at me and his hands twitched by his side, "I just—I was looking to—" his eyes moved down, "I was, um, wanting to—"

I took a step forward, not even an arm's length away. To my surprise, he didn't move back. Instead, he moved towards me. Leaving little to no space between us.

            His breathing slowed, "Januarie, I uh—"

            Glancing over his shoulder, I checked the door, "Lucas, please, stop talking."

            His hands grabbed my hips and pulled me into him. I drew in a sharp breath and his lips found mine without a second thought. It was as if we'd been in this same situation a million times before. Something we did with ease, a repetitive motion that we no longer had to think about in order to complete.

            He moved back, pulling me across the hallway with him. We stumbled in the darkness together, trying our hardest not to make a sound which was far more difficult than I thought it would have been. I got lost in everything he did. In every single touch of his hands.

            He bent down and picked me up. My legs wrapped around his waist to keep myself from falling. He sat me on the hand railing and I had to swallow a laugh. I didn't even know I could fit on it. His hands tugged at my shirt slowly, as if teasing that he could pull it up at any moment if he so wished.