chapter twenty-five ✔️

januarie robinson- april 17, 2019 -

januarie robinson
- april 17, 2019 -

"I AM NOT AWAKE ENOUGH for this," I whispered into my thermos, wishing it would give me the strength I needed. Fog filtered across my brain, wrapping its fingers around every single cell. My eyes fluttered closed for what I thought was only a second, until my chin dropped from my palm and my eyes snapped open again.

"You can't let me do that," I yawned.

"It was only a second," Lucas clarified. He checked his watch, he shook his head, and stood, "Come on, let's get this place ready for the party."

Setting down my cup, I dragged myself from my spot and twisted to face him, "You mean, I'll get the place ready." I teased, leaving before he could replay.

He was quick to follow after me, coffee in hand, "Hey, I've got stuff to do too, you know."

I laughed, rounding the corner, but still turned to look at the doorway. Lucas grabbed the jam and leaned forward, "Oh, do you now?"

"How?" He laughed, "How can you possibly be sarcastic this early in the morning?"

"Call it a superpower," I shrugged. "A trait of the Robinson family; you adapt or you die." Smiling, I looked down for a moment and let it falter for only a moment before I forced it back in its rightful place.

            "You're ridiculous."

            "Will you just get out of here?" I laughed, "You're distracting me from my much-needed work. If I don't start, there won't be popcorn and that just might be the end of it." I spoke, dramatically throwing my arm over my forehead with a sigh.

            "The end of what, exactly?" He asked, trying to hide the dimples forming in his cheeks. That's what I had been working towards. A real, full smile.

            "Life as we know it." I quoted from the movie, P.S. I Love You. He rolled his eyes and moved back. I stood silent for a moment, just to listen to his feet climb the stairs to projection.

            I busied myself quickly, trying to get the place ready for the private party. Things had taken an unexpected turn this morning when not a single family member answered their phones. I had almost half a mind to stop by my mom's house and check on her, or at least by the shop.

            I was missing our weekly breakfast. Normally, I wasn't at work this early in the morning and could make the feast over at Blue Goose Diner, but when someone scheduled a last-minute party and all my co-workers were either out of town or in school, I got stuck working. The Robinson family was always known for their communication, but today was just an off day for us.

            Chewing on my bottom lip, I tried not to think about it. I flipped the popcorn heat off when it started to pop. I turned on the soda machines one by one and slipped my keys back in my pocket for safe keeping. Rounding the side of the bar, I paused at the sound of Lucas coming back down the stairs.