chapter thirty-seven ✔️

januarie robinson- february 8, 2020 -

januarie robinson
- february 8, 2020 -

SMOOTHING DOWN THE DRESS FABRIC, my hands shook. It definitely wasn't my normal choice of attire. Not many girls could brag that they still fit in their high school homecoming dress. I guess it really did pay off when you hadn't grown since your junior year. It was this floor length, green, silk dress with a slit that started at the top of my thigh. It had a halter style top that sat completely open except for a couple of strings holding it together and stopped just below the small of my back.

            That night I chose to wear my mess of curls in a bug at the base of my neck with hairs framing my face where they were needed. It was strange to see so many people in Kensington dressed in such eloquent clothes. I didn't even know half these people owned a suit and tie.

            Grabbing tight to Cole's arm, he simply smiled at the gesture, "I'm glad you decided to come," I spoke in a whisper, "Nick said he had the seat next to mine, but it's nice to have a friendly face."

            "It's okay," his smile only grew, "Jamie doesn't really do formal things. He says it's because suits make his shoulders look weird. I just think he's afraid to run into his mother with me on his arm. I'm not exactly what she was hoping he'd bring home."

            We stepped around the corner; our laughter washed away with the rest of the noise. The Lonely-Hearts Banquet was packed every year, but it seemed to be double in size. In the back a banner hung that read 'Save the Sunshine'. There was a poster with more information, but my eyes scanned right passed it.

            "Let's get our seats," Cole motioned to the tables fitted around a large dance floor. The band played low in the background of people's voices. We found Persephone across the way, waving her hand above her head to catch our attention.

            We nodded and made our way through the dancing couples, all of them with smiles on their faces. That was the Kensington I knew. Not always polished and proper, but never without a smile or two. I looked down at my ticket and confirmed the table as well as the seat.

            Cole and I were the last two from the theatre to arrive, but I wasn't surprised considering Cole had forgotten his ticket when we first left. I looked at the seats next to mine from our distance. I was seated between Estella and Nick, but my heart dropped the moment I looked at the chair next to mine that was occupied by a man who was clearly blond and not brunet.

            "You good?" Cole asked when he noticed my speed slowing down.

            My voice came out higher than I meant it to, "Yup... Just peachy."

            Grabbing the back of my chair, I watched Cole take his seat across from me. I forced a smile and looked over at Lucas. I was barely even breathing, "Hey."