chapter fourteen ✔️

katie porter- january 8, 2020 -

katie porter
- january 8, 2020 -

I CHUGGED A WATER BOTTLE and looked out the sliding glass door to the park full of trees. I could still feel Caleb's hand in mine from the day when he kissed me. I shook away the memory. He didn't get my attention right now. I had to stay focused.

The real problem was how Elisha could possibly owe that kind of money. I kept trying to reassure her that it would be simple to get the money, but 60,000 dollars was a lot. Settling into the couch, I held the phone right to my ear. I reached over the side and searched for the notepad and pen underneath.

Leaning over farther, I gripped the side when I started to slip. The tips of my fingers grazed at the top of the notepad.

A beep ran through my ear and a woman's voice came, "Hello. Kensington Community College, this is Hanna. Thank you for your patience."

I almost dropped the phone from my grasp and I went diving over the side to catch it, "Shit. Motherfucking—"

"Hello?" The woman called out again.

I pulled the phone to my ear, "Yes!" I answered far too quickly, "I'm here. I dropped the phone." I ripped the notepad from underneath the couch and clicked the pen open, "I was hoping to talk to someone about the Lonely-Hearts Auction next month."

"Okay," I listened to shuffling on the other end, "You're going to want to speak with Jackson Montgomery. He's head of the Literary Department here and faculty advisor for the Poetry Club that puts on the fundraiser. If you'd like, I could transfer you."

"That would be great, thanks." I nodded even though I knew she couldn't see me and scribbled down the name; Jackson Montgomery.

"Okay, please, hold." She sounded like she smiled. Elevator music floated through the phone making me want to roll my eyes. Twirling the pen through my fingers.

"Jackson," the man's voice was light, but not high pitched. It had a chipperness to it that hit me like a train. It reminded me of Elisha and the delicate voice she spoke with. This guy however, had a deep voice that had a happiness in his tone.

"Mr. Montgomery, my name is Katelyn Porter. I was hoping I could speak with you about the Lonely-Hearts Auction that your Poetry Club puts on."

"Of course, Miss Porter, what information can I provide for you?"

"I'm calling on behalf of Sunshine Bakery. A local business and—"

"That's owned by Elisha and Max Beanblossom, correct?"

"Yes, Sir."

"Please," he laughed, "call me Jackson. Sir is for my father and even then, he doesn't like it all that much." For a moment, I couldn't speak. He spoke so openly to a complete stranger. It wasn't like that where I'm from. The gears turned in my head on how to approach the following subject.

"We were curious as to whether or not you've secured a desert vendor for your event."

"Normally, the club simply supplies all the food. No vendors needed."

"We'd like to volunteer our services; free of charge."

"As much as I'd like to give you an answer today, Miss Porter, I can't. Given that it's a club activity, it has to be voted on by the members; however, I'd be more than willing to pass along your request."

I sighed, flipping to the front page of my notepad and adding a neat, little check mark after the fourth title stating 'Lonely-Hearts'. The three above were scratched out. Completely unsuccessful attempts for other fundraisers. Just getting one maybe gave me hope for the situation that was looking more and more bleak as time went on.

The man cleared his throat, "Can I ask why the sudden urge to support the auction? I don't recall seeing your name pop up before. Please, don't think of me as rude. I'm simply asking out of curiosity and not judgment. We're always happy to welcome new participants. We rarely have people beating down our door with support."

"Actually, the bakery is threatening to close its doors and I'm here to try and get the word out as much as possible. Elisha has gone to the auction since before I moved here and has dragged me to every one after. I know how many people and business owners the auction brings in and I thought there would be no better place to make people aware that a most beloved shop might have to close for good."

I heard a small laugh on the other side of the phone, "Most beloved? Are you a Jane Austen fan?"

My brows scrunched, "Who?"

"Jane Austen, the author? She wrote Pride and Prejudice as well as Northanger Abbey and Persuasion."

"Sorry," I shrugged, tossing my pen to the side and pulling my feet underneath me, "Can't say that I've heard of her."

"You've never heard of Jane Austen?"

My lips tipped up for only a second and I stood. The trees were suddenly captivating, yet my eyes wouldn't completely focus on any of them, "Not the biggest reader, over here."

"There's movies about them. BBC even did a Tv series for Pride and Prejudice with Colin Firth, but if you've never seen any Jane Austen show I suggest you start with the 2005 version with Keira Knightly. It's not the most accurate to the books, but I'd say it's one of the most cinematic adaptations."

I caught myself laughing. Laughing like I used to, "That's interesting. Do you take to all novels this strongly or is it just Jane Austen?"

He laughed, "I'm a literature professor so I feel it's almost my duty to say all novels, but I do have an extreme soft spot for Austen in which my students love to make fun of any chance they get."

"Duly noted," I nodded, "I'll have to keep it in mind for the next time I'm craving some quality screen time."

"It's the perfect mix of humor and romance. The characters are beautifully written, along with the gorgeous scenery. Nothing captures the regency area quite like Pride and Prejudice. And the romance between Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy is just phenomenal. There is so much going on below the surface that most people miss all the subtlety between the two. It's brilliant."

"You sound very passionate about this subject."

"I am," he admitted.

It was interesting talking with someone so invested into something such as romance. But he was a literature professor, so I shouldn't have been surprised. Still, I was expecting something along the lines of thrillers and mysteries not romance, but to each their own, I guess.

Distant chatting and the sounds of raucous laughter rang through my ear from the other end of the line. I could hear the shuffle of papers. There was a pause on his side before he sighed, "Anyhow. I'll get this in front of the club at our next meeting and I'll get back to you. I'm afraid I do have to cut this call short. Duty calls."

"Ah yes," I laughed. "The molding of young minds is never over."

He laughed. It was hardy and full of life, "I like to think of it more as giving them the tools to come to their own conclusions. Life is far too complicated and beautiful to live with a closed mind. I'll talk to you soon. Hopefully with some good news."

"I look forward to hearing from you."