chapter twenty-seven ✔️

stevie hopkins- march 24, 2018 -

stevie hopkins
- march 24, 2018 -

TREES LINED EITHER SIDE OF the road at this point. We'd missed the best time to go to the cliff which was just before dawn. When the sun rose, the light danced across the top of the water. I'd taken Joel out there multiple times so he could paint the scene. He had people offer to buy the picture from him, but he always said no.

            "Just turn at the next right." I readjusted my boot for the millionth time since we left the house. I never could get quite comfortable in cars anymore. Even though it was just a hop and a skip to the other side of town, it was still too far.

            The nerves spun in my stomach the further we went up the road. Kids yelled from every inch of the car. We were packed tighter than we should have been. More people were in the car than was possibly safe, but I kept my mouth shut.

            My family was used to it, but I could see the nervous twitch in Chelsea's brow every time she took a corner. I think she was used to being the stuffed passenger over the actual driver of the vehicle.

            "Stop!" Monica yelled from the back and Chelsea slammed on the brakes, sending everyone flying forward; me personally into the jockey box. She looked around frantically as if she was trying to spot something.

            Xavier laughed from his seat. His laugh was warm, kind of like the tea he drank.

            "I'm sorry," she whispered, slipping further down in her seat.

            I glared at Monica through the rearview mirror, "Don't be, it wasn't your fault, but we do have to pull over here and walk, but it's not far."

            Chelsea pulled the car off the side of the road. We all basically spilled out of the car in order to stay out of each other's way.

            Monica dropped to the ground, dramatically grabbing fistfuls of dirt, "Who knew solid ground could look so damn good."

            "Shut up, Mon. You shouldn't have yelled like that. Chelsea doesn't know these roads like we do. There could have been an accident, you idiot." Joel rolled his eyes and pushed Monica over with his leg as he passed.

            She scrambled to her feet, getting in his space, "Careful there, painter boy. With where we're going there still might be one."

            "Hey," Xavier's jaw clenched, "That's not funny. It's not even close to funny. I'll take you both home if you can't get along."

            The two quieted instantly and Xavier nodded with satisfaction. When he turned his back Monica stuck out her tongue and Joel flipped her off. What were you going to do? Siblings. They'd never got along, even when they were little. Always fighting and bickering every chance they got.