Destined Love - Chapter Thirty Two

Chapter Thirty Two:

Through the foggy front window of my truck, I blankly stare out at Cole's cottage-like house. The drapes are closed, a soft gold glow seeping through the holes of his curtains. With my car in park and my keys sitting in my lap, Raziel's last words float through my mind—they demand my attention. My birthday has never been acknowledged, at least not since mi mamá passed, why would I start celebrating it now?

How could I possibly make it a "monumental birthday" when no one knows about it, and I have no interest in it? Birthday's are no longer important to me—they're just another day, another number. Why anyone would want to celebrate age is beyond me.

I'll have a beer for myself, that's all I will need.

With a heavy sigh, I make my way inside where Cole lays on the lounge with the remote glued to his hand. When he hears the front door click shut, his head turns at an angle.

"Where have you been?"

"I honestly don't know why you bother asking me that question, hombre," I respond aridly.

He places the TV on mute. "When you live with someone, you're supposed to let them know if you're not going to be home for a couple of hours. You know, common courtesy and what not."

"We're not a fuckin' couple." I slip my shoes off and slide them aggressively across the room.

"No, but we are friends. So it would be nice of you to let me know."

"Well, I'm not nice."

His response is ignored as I stalk to my bedroom and slam the door behind me. Worn out, I fall against my bed and fold my arm across my eyes. The muffled noise of the television breaks through the crack below my door, and I find myself focusing on the distinct sound to keep unwanted thoughts at bay. Half of my ceiling is illuminated by the light of the moon, and I follow the shadows it creates.

Moments later when the TV switches off and Cole's feet plod past my door, I squeeze my eyes shut and try to force myself to sleep. Instead of drifting off into a dream, images of tonight's conversation scatter through my brain; now that I'm alone with nothing but my mind, the information sinks in even further. Ariella, related to Raziel's Cynthia; Sadie, a reincarnation of Cynthia's best friend; Melrose Cove having been specifically chosen for me; Raziel's plan for me to acknowledge and accept Ariella.

And here I was, thinking a second chance at life would be uncomplicated.

Turns out, no matter who I am, where I am, and what I am—life will never be easy.

***

With barely a wink of sleep, I find myself awaking before my alarm. I know without looking in the mirror that the skin below my eyes are painted purple from the lack of shut-eye. I can feel my body trying to repair itself from exhaustion as I slip on my clothes and pad to the bathroom. I avoid the mirror as I wet my fingers and slide them through my hair, before brushing my teeth robotically.

Knowing that Cole isn't working today, I skip breakfast and head straight to my truck as his bedroom door remains closed. Grunting, I turn on the engine until it coughs into a loud purr; the vibration from the motor helps soothe my dejected mood. As I reverse out of the driveway, Cole pokes his head through the side of his bedroom curtain, and sends me a little childlike wave. Just as I pull out of the yard, I direct my favourite finger his way before revving the engine and zooming down the street.

I turn the radio off and wind down my window, only wanting to listen to the satisfying chug of my engine and the soft whistle of the wind.

I arrive at work within minutes. Once I've parked my car, I stroll through the back entrance and find Billy typing away at his computer in his office. I lean against the wood of the doorway, waiting for him to lift his head. Eventually, his fingers pace along his keyboard and his eyes stare at me over the rim of his glasses.