Destined Love - Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen:

I force myself to keep my reaction to her greeting smile from appearing across my face—something that I find myself doing more than I've ever needed to before. Hiding my emotions is just one of many of the things I find natural to do, although recently has been requiring a little more energy.

"I hope you don't mind a small change of plans," she begins as we step outside. "I thought it would be easier to go there together."

The afternoon wind swirls her fiery red curls, blowing the silky, deliriously sweet aroma of something cross between French vanilla and fresh rose petals towards me. Watching her out of my peripheral vision, I decide to ease the tightness through my stomach with a playful remark.

"Or maybe it's 'cause you wanna spend more time with me."

Her walk speeds up as we stroll down to the main centre of the town, as if trying to prove me wrong.

"Of course not," she eventually mutters. "I mean, that's irrelevant. I just thought it would be easier."

I chuckle as I notice the attractive, flustered shade of red to her cheeks.  "Relax, Chica. I'm just messin' with you."

When she lets out an awkward laugh, it doesn't help the tightness to my stomach at all.

We reach the Moonlit Cafe soon after. I follow in after her as she makes her way straight to the front counter, a slight hop to her step. An elderly lady with a brown hair net and kind eyes greets Ariella with an enthusiastic cheer.

"Ariella! How lovely to see you again." She beams. "How are you today, my dear?"

The thick waves of her salt and pepper hair stick to her forehead with some type of product. To avoid the effects of Ariella's genuine smile, I focus on a booth cased with desserts.

"I'm doing fine, thank you Lola," she responds kindly. "Just here with a friend. You don't happen to have my favourite vanilla and cream slice by any chance, would you?"

"Yes, yes, of course." I notice an old twang to her accent. "We have two slices left."

As the old lady slides the desserts into two brown paper bags, Ariella shuffles closer.

"You have to try these slices. The best in Australia, I promise."

Although rigid in place by the close proximity, I still manage a resilient shrug. "Sure."

Once she's received her order of a caramel cappuccino, I quickly purchase a large serving of a chocolate with coffee latte, knowing it's the strongest thing I can get at a country Cafe. As we make it back outside, Ariella already engrossed in her hot drink, I place my cup under my arm as I pull a twenty dollar note from my wallet. Without a word, I shove it towards her.

After a slow sip of her drink, she flashes me a confused blink. "What's that for?"

"For lunch," I reply dully.

She shakes her head. "It's fine, I'm happy paying for my own."

"Well, I'm not, so take the damn money."

Before she can refuse again, I reach out and slide the note into the front pocket of her dark blue jeans. When I step back, I take a long, greedy mouthful of my chocolate latte to moisten my suddenly dry tongue. To avert her reaction, I begin the stroll to the river, hoping the five minute walk can relax the tense muscles in my back. Her soft footsteps casually follow behind me.

When we reach the grass along the river front, I throw my already empty cup into a near-by bin. Ariella continues down the slope hill towards the water, her eyes set on the large white rock. As she sits atop it as if it's a regular thing, I saunter down to the edge of the grass, where the water soaks through the soil.