Destined Love - Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven:

The clanging of pots and pans vibrates through the thick walls, waking me from my deep sleep; a headache instantly penetrates every corner of my skull. I push up onto my elbows, and through half-slitted eyes, I take notice of where I am. The clean white walls and the crisp bed sheets indicate that I'm no longer at the hotel; in replace of the stale stench of my old room, a fresh scent drifts through the air.

When I sluggishly slide off the bed, images from last night emerge; Cole and I running through the Bottle-O, shoving alcohol into a small basket before heading back to his place where we sat in front of the TV, drinking and watching football. I remember hollering at the screen, beer after beer.

After that, the memory fizzles out.

"Kade," Cole's shout whirls through my head. "Wake up bro! We gotta leave for work in ten miniutes."

With a satisfying stretch, I pad to the draw across the room, where I faintly remember placing my clothes. I pull out a white tee and dark blue jeans, before tugging on the material and sliding my fingers through my disheveled black hair. I stroll down the short passage, where I find Cole standing at the kitchen counter, a piece of toast hanging from the corner of his mouth.

The morning sun shining through the window casts a soft hue over the room.

"We've got five minutes to eat," Cole announces in a rush. "I'm not sure what you like, so I cooked bacon, eggs and an omelette. Take your pick, but eat it fast."

Sitting at the counter, I throw a crunchy piece of salty bacon between my lips. "Didn't take you for the kitchen kinda guy, aimgo. Got somethin' you wanna confess?"

"I cooked a simple breakfast meal, that hardly makes me the 'kitchen kinda guy'."

I snort with a mouth full of eggs. Cole whips a towel at me before running out of the kitchen to change out of his pyjama pants. I scoff down the rest of my food, realising that despite not having a normal appetite anymore, I'm incredibly hungry after my hangover. I swallow down the rest of my omelette with a glass of orange juice, just as Cole races back into the kitchen.

"Let's go." He ushers me towards the door.

"What's the hurry, hombre? Who cares if we're a few minutes late."

"It's Friday, one of the busiest days of the week," Cole responds hurriedly as we jump into his truck. "It's when everyone starts their weekend, straight after work. It's gonna be packed by five o'clock tonight, just you watch. And in the meantime, we've got a lot to sort out, and Billy will most likely keep us on shift tonight behind the bar."

"Behind the bar?" I grin. "Finalmente!"

It's about time; I thought I was never going to transfer from storage.

"I wouldn't get too excited, it's get really busy—people ordering drinks and snacks from every edge of the bar. It's hard to keep track of 'em all."

"I can handle that." I wave my hand dismissively. "I'm just lookin' forward to servin' all the ladies."

We pull into the car park, and Cole rolls his eyes. "I should have guessed."

Once inside the bar, Billy waves us over to the side of the counter; his eyes appear tired.

"Busy day today, right Billy?" Cole claps him on the back.

"Sure is." He nods. "Yo' better get started on the tasks out back. Tristan's already in there."

Billy then turns to me, his eyes down cast pointedly.

"Tonight you'll be workin' behind the counter with Cole, and I don't wanna see any funny business with the ladies. You're here to do your job, not flirt. I'll be watchin'."