Destined Love - Chapter Thirty Seven

Chapter Thirty Seven:

He looks quite content with himself as his hand seems to possessively grip the top of Ariella's shoulder. I feel my body tighten like a bowstring, the assorted hum of noise behind me drifting off into the distance as my ears fill with the roaring sound of my blood. Wes' malt green eyes curve with arrogance, setting off the tight constriction of my muscles. But the clearing of Ariella's throat draws my focus from Wes' cocky smirk, and over to her deep set sea-green eyes. For a moment, I'm no longer interested in why Wes is standing in my doorway.

"Money has been tight this week," Ariella begins with an embarrassed crook of her neck. "So I thought I'd make you something."

Reluctantly, Wes removes his arm from around her as she slowly pulls out a wrapped gift from behind her back, and with a distracting lick of her lips, she holds it out between us. Wes leans to the side in a stance of impatience as she waits for me to take the present. As much as I'd love to voice my thoughts on his possessive and arrogant reaction, the idea of receiving a gift from Ariella seems to override that impulse.

I reach out and grasp the gift, my throat clogged dry. "Gracias."

Thinking back, I can't remember the last time I received something from someone that wasn't a bag of marijuana or a carton of my favourite alcohol.

"If you don't like it, I won't be offended." She interrupts my thoughts.

Words become lodged in my throat as I try to figure out something decent to respond with. But as Ariella stares up at me with her patient doe-eyes, as if the recent tension between us never happened, a crowd of people suddenly blow in, squeezing between us. They stampede from behind her, shoving their way through the doorway like hungry animals. All at once, Cole appears beside me, clapping me on the shoulder as he greets everyone with a confident holler for them to enjoy the party.

"We know for you a party isn't one without a full crowd, so we told everyone to stop by." Cole grins after giving Ariella a hug and Wes a firm handshake. "Just don't forget about the ones who got it all started."

"How could I not, " I mumble sarcastically.

He lets out a light chuckle. "Come on, I'll show you what I bought ya."

My jaw tightens as he tries to tug me forward in a direct route to the kitchen.

"How about we just forget the presents for now." Pausing in his tracks, he releases my grip to face me. "In fact, let's forget it's my birthday altogether and just party."

He furrows his brows. "Why wouldn't you want to open presents? That's half the fun!"

"Not for me it ain't."

A mischievous glint appears in his eyes. "Well, I can't forget it's your birthday when I've got a cake waitin' for you in the fridge."

"You got me a fuckin' cake?"

He stares at me dim-wittedly. "Yes, I got you a fucking cake!"

Taking a deep breath, I comb my fingers through my hair, now starting to saturate with sweat. "For now, forget it's my birthday, and once everyone has left, I'll cut the damn cake."

Cole starts to protest, but my scowl cuts off his complaint. Mumbling something incoherent under his breath, he gives in to my request. "Fine. It's your birthday, so whatever you want is what you'll get. But you will be cutting that cake, and you will be opening presents later."

The music suddenly grows louder as someone turns up the vibrations. The heavy beat circulates through my muscles, and as another surge of adrenaline rushes over me, I finally force my body to relax. Looking over towards the front door, a group of unfamiliar people stand together, Ariella and Wes not amongst them. After a quick glance around the room, Ariella's vibrant head of golden red hair is nowhere in sight, and so I place down her gift on a table beside a glass ornament.