Destined Love - Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen:

The thud of the wooden chair reverberates around the now silent room. A thick ball of saliva slides down the edges of my dry throat, and I wonder if the others can hear the wet noise. I physically and mentally demand my gaze to move away from Ariella, just enough to catch a glimpse of Sally and her cousin staring at me with a look of shock. Sweat forces to coat the back of my neck.

"Are you alright, bro?" Cole cautionally questions beside me.

With a quick, tight nod of my head, I spin around and stalk down the hall towards the bathroom, where I slam the door shut behind me. My mind a hazy mess, I lift my head to the mirror, my jaw set as I glare at my reflection. I mentally curse myself as I wrap my hands around the basin; the way I've been acting lately is incredibly frustrating and not who I am—it's like I'm not even Kade anymore when it comes to Ariella.

The moment my eyes met hers, it was like my willpower had completely dissipated.

I literally wanted to slide across the table to reach her, to wrap my arms around her small frame, to have her skin against mine. The need I had to gently drag my thumb across her bottom lip was unbelievably, enigmatically strong. It was like something had taken over my body, and all I could see—want—was Ariella. Just her, and no one else.

Which is just fucking bullshit.

It's just not normal, not realistic, not necessary. Why can't her presence just leave me alone? Why does she have to be wherever I am? Is it punishment for all that I've done in my life, some sort of Karma because I treated everyone like they were nothing? Raziel never said she was going to be everywhere I was.

As I look at my liquid brown eyes through the mirror, the memory of him telling me that I would feel an instant connection with her resurfaces. Yes, there's a connection, but it's too much—too intense, and despite what Raziel may believe, none of these thoughts or emotions are what I want. I accepted his offer for simply one reason, and one reason alone; to achieve much more than I ever did before.

That's all that's important to me now; that's my goal, that's my focus—not Ariella.

Now out of my daze, rage seeps through my blood, and on impulse I ram my fist against the white basin; the toothbrushes rattle in their cup and the mirror threatens to fall from its hook. As the spasms leave my body, I turn on the cold water and splash my face, wetting my hot skin. Knowing that I need to get back out there, hoping to forget the earlier event happened, I dry my face and let out a recovered breath.

With my skin still hot, but the rage washed away, I step out into the hallway and make my way back to the kitchen. Focusing in on all their faces as they eat and chat around the table, I instantly know that Cole had told them not to question me. I might have to thank him later.

I take my original seat across from Sally, avoiding the left side of the table where Ariella sits quietly. Her vanilla scent drifts through the air, but as I grab a steak from the table, the spicy aroma engulfs my nose. The chatter begins to quell, and I drop a spoonful of potato salad and assorted peas onto my plate. I can feel eyes on me as I begin to chew my steak, and as I lift my gaze from my plate, Sally stares at me with disgust.

As I purposely chew with an open mouth, her slightly crooked nose scrunches with revulsion. I notice Cole's hand sneak towards Sally's, and I swallow my food with a noisy gulp, hiding my amusement as she harrumphs.

With a lazy turn to my right, I smile at the nerdy girl artifically. Her brown eyes widen.

"What's your name, chica?"

"Sadie. Sadie Price." She whispers.

"You're related to Sally, right?"

Sadie nods and sends a little smile towards Sally.