Destined Love - Chapter Twenty One

Chapter Twenty One:

An hour and a half later, Cole and I jump into his truck—Cole dressed in black suit pants, a sky blue polo shirt with a thin black jacket over top. Considering I'm not into the whole sophisticated style, I look the complete opposite with my denim jeans, white V neck tee and a quarter-sleeve jacket—fashionable, but not formal.

"How do you think tonight's goin' to go?" Cole asks conversationally.

Staring out the window as we drive off, I watch the houses pass as the speed picks up.

"Slow and boring," I respond dully.

"Why, because there'd be no loud music and hot chicks?" Cole jokes.

He's not far off. "Formal dinners aren't my thing."

"Then why come?" He questions.

I give a lazy shrug. "Free food, free booze, I can't really pass that up."

Cole lets out an amused snort. "Of course, forget about the birthday girl."

"I barely know her," I mumble, "I couldn't care less that it's her birthday."

With a firm shake of his head, he continues to drive in silence. I take his lack of a response as disagreement to my reasoning, and lean back against the seat as the clicking chug of the engine helps keep the tense hum of the air at bay. Ten minutes later, we pass a sign that reads "Welcome to Greenport, the town that's always green." Cole drives through a busy main street, and then through a side road where we're greeted with an unimpressive area of the town. 

"Sally's not here yet," Cole voices as we park outside of a restaurant. "Trust the girls to be late."

"Well, I don't know about you, amigo, but I ain't staying out here waiting for 'em," I announce.

I begin strolling across the road and towards the small restaurant with golden lights lining the window panels and framing the entrance doors. Cole soon follows closely behind me. Soft, instrumental music resonates from the built in ceiling speakers when we walk through the glass doors, the fresh aroma of cooking meat waft straight towards us. I eye the place, noticing several people sitting at their tables, talking and drinking—despite the elaborate interior decor, the room gives off a casual vibe.

A booth sits on one side of the restaurant, its lids closed indicting food hasn't been served yet— and that we're early. A savvy looking waiter stands behind the ordering station, a bright smile spread across his dark skin as a greeting. Chrystal chandeliers hang from the ceiling, their glittering light reflecting against the pale white roof and walls, giving the room a xanthicwarm glow.

"This is fancy..." Cole whispers, his eyes tracing the area of the room.

"No shit."

"I hope the food isn't too expensive."

Considering how elegant and classy the decor looks, there's no doubt the food will be pricy. After the waiter shows us our booked table—decorated with several pastel balloons with 'Happy Birthday' printed in bold font—the food buffet opens and more customers start to order as the waiter shows them their menu's. I stare at the half shaped diamond clock hanging across the room, feeling my back muscles tightening as I realise the girls should be here soon—or more specifically, Ariella.

I find myself wondering what Ariella will show up wearing tonight; surely she won't wear her plain, casual clothes to her best friend's birthday dinner...although as I think more about her mid-thigh black shorts and purple tank top that hugs her chest deliciously, I don't think I'd mind if she did.