Destined Love - Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen:

I've never been in a situation like this before—waiting for an answer from the girl I've just impulsively asked out. The words slipped out of my sloppy lips before my brain even had time to comprehend what I was asking, and now I wish I could rewind time and let her walk away. It doesn't help things when Ariella stumbles over the silence, an answer somehow lodged in her throat.

Through the kitchen window, Ariella's focus remains on Wes as he talks with Cole, and my teeth clash together with annoyance. The remaining visitors dancing along the grass sway with the beat of a heavy-based song, unaware of the confused and frustrated thoughts whirling around in my mind in a chaotic mess.

I never should have had the weed—it was a loco idea that fucked with my thinking process.

Having enough of the dragged out pause, I shut off my thoughts and force myself to speak. "Forget I asked."

Her attention finally turns back to me, and as she notices the blank look I force myself to make, Ariella's eyes downcast to the grass beneath us. Her feet shuffle for a few seconds, her face shadowed by her golden red curls. Awkwardly, I clear my throat as a large ball of saliva slips down the back of my tongue.

She looks up then, and gives me a soft shrug of her shoulders. "So I'll see you around then, okay?"

Her emotionless response stuns me for a moment, and I almost groan with confusion. I shake my head, as if disoriented, as she walks off inside without giving time for me to respond. That's it? No tears or harsh words? With an awkward chuckle, I wonder why I didn't get a more negative reaction from her—any other girl would have caused a scene.

With a quick turn to my left, a tall erotic chica across the yard dressed in a tight blue cocktail dress and heels far too small for her feet, sends me a flirtatious wave. If it were any other time, I'd be over there in a flash, but for once I don't give the sexy woman the time of day. Instead, I make my way inside, my body ready to drop onto something soft. Just as I step through the door, Wes' hand takes hold of Ariella as Cole leads them to the front door.

Coming to a halt, my mouth turns dry as her hand comfortably responds to his.

Whether or not it's the remaining weed still in my system controlling my emotions, I suddenly find myself walking towards them, my steps egocentric as I slip into a welcoming fog of confidence and poise, both something I was known for in my old town. With me around, Wes won't be feeling so self-assured as he wishes.

"Yo." I greet them as I casually place an arm over Ariella's shoulders—and ignoring the electric spark that whizzes down the grooves of my spine.

Despite the foreign thrill as our skin makes contact, I still manage to notice Wes' reaction; his shoulders broadening possessively with the constriction of his oval-shaped jaw.

"Kade," Cole replies with an amusement smirk. "What's up?"

I shrug nonchalantly. "Just wanted to ask Ariella here if she was still up for that date."

Her face turns towards mine slowly, and a smooth vibrant curl of her hair slides against my stubbled cheek. When her eyes make contact with mine, I force myself to move my face further away from hers to avoid our noses touching. Imagining what that'd do to my body if my lips came that close to hers, I think I'd lose confidence with my restraints. They're already tempting enough from a distance, as pink as the inside of rose petals and as soft as silk—I mentally shake my head; those thoughts could get me into one hell of a mess.

"I thought you said to forget you asked?" She wonders.

"Changed my mind." I wave a hand dismissively. "So, are you up for it?"