CHAPTER 42

Two weeks after the funeral I moved to the cabin in the Finnel mountains. The two-story cabin had a lot more to offer than what meets the eye. 

It was small yet cozy.

Mom was against me moving alone at first. But she came around eventually after I convinced her. Dad did not say much on the matter and Clive was away from home when I moved out.

It was not like I was entirely isolated. I do go down the mountain occasionally when I run out of supplies or sometimes during my routine hiking.

The mountain was quiet and serene. And I was in need of it the most.

The day started with daily morning warm-ups followed by a quiet breakfast. A cup of black coffee is essential to begin the day. Then Chirpy and I go on a hike through the mountain and clear up any blocked pathways or tend to injured animals. By the time we usually reach the waterfalls, it would be lunchtime.

Chirpy was in charge of the ingredients for lunch. So I train by the waterfalls till he catches any fish or small animals. Then we would cook it and eat near the boulders.

After lunch was over, we would continue hiking till we reached the grasslands. 

Chirpy liked to roll on the grass there. Since it was his home before I found him, he was more than happy to run through the grass unrestrained. We played there till the sun started to set and returned home before dark. After dinner, I would practice my swordplay followed by a warm bath to freshenup.

Finally, before we hit the sack I would read a book, nothing complicated but enough to keep my mind active till we doze off together. And then the next day began and the routine continued.

However, yesterday's routine got messed up, all thanks to a wild wyvern we came across. 

I do not think the wyvern was a native one. It had a peculiar shape on its head that differentiated it from the rest. I had never seen one like that before in all my years at the mountain. The blue-colored stripes on its red scales made it look quite exquisite.

Now that I think about it, there were three stripes or more. It was a pity that could not get a proper look.

I was there all day trying to get his leg out of the crack while avoiding his attacks. The smug face the wyvern made when it flew off was still fresh in my memory.

'Next time I spot him I'm gonna make sure he pays!' I clenched my fist reliving the memory.

Maybe I should bounce by the library when I get back home and try to find some information about it. That way, I could get a better understanding of the various wyvern species in the mountain in case I spot a few more of the same kind.

I put down the card in my hand and moved towards the kitchen. I was in desperate need of a cup of coffee.

My cooking skills were still bad. It was to the point that Chirpy preferred to stay outside when I cooked. So I just stick to the basic stuff that does not require much work. 

Since I was going home anyway I decided to have my meals there. A properly cooked meal with the family sounded nice after a long time. 

Still did not plan on staying there for long. I planned on returning to the cabin after dinner so that I could learn more about the wyvern species I had spotted.

'Now, should I take a shower or a bath?'

While I was contemplating that, I heard a few thuds from the floor above. Chirpy was probably in my room, breaking god knows what. 

Right when I was about to run upstairs to check on him, Chirpy dashed down running and quietly sat in front of me.

"Is that... ink?" My jaw dropped at the sight before my eyes. 

His lustrous white fur was covered in blue ink all the way from his head to his tail.

"Did you jump on the nightstand again?" I asked, massaging my throbbing head.

*woof*

Chirpy looked at me with his usual playful look and wagged his tale as if he was proud of his actions. I could already imagine the state of my room.

"More work. Just the thing I needed"

"Haaah..." I sighed.

First things first, we have to go home today for a quick visit. And for that, I needed him to be as clean as possible. Otherwise, Mom would not let me return here.

"Get in the tub" I pointed towards the bathroom. 

We had work to do.

The servants in the manor were busy with their chores moving around the manor like bees in a beehive. The knights in the training area were having their lunch in the break area making the place buzz with chatter. The atmosphere in the Ashford residence was as normal as any other day.

On the other side of the manor, the butler was running on his way to the master's office. He had some important documents in his hands that had just arrived from the capital. He knocked on the door and waited for a response.

"Come in"

Clive was looking through some documents inside the office.

"The documents you were expecting have arrived, young master" The butler handed the documents in his hand to Clive.

"You can go now"

The butler bowed and closed the door on his way out.

Clive scanned the documents with furrowed brows. He had taken over his father's duties for some time now. This was the trial period before he officially inherited the title. He was also responsible for the new trading business they had signed with the Kingdom of Murim.

Clive's face changed as he read through the documents from the capital.

"Looks like there's no other way" He muttered as he leaned on the chair.

"No other way for what?" 

Right then another voice came from behind startling Clive. 

He shoved the documents in a frenzy as soon as he realized who it was behind him.

"An-An!"

Clive stood up and hugged his sister.

"When did you get here?"

"Just now" Angelica said, pushing him away. She walked around his desk and sat on the side sofa. Then spread her arms and leaned back.

"So" Angelica looked at her brother, who was fidgeting around like a puppy.

 "Why'd you call me?"