Chapter 147

I was five years old when the nanny who had been taking care of me for years tried to drive a dagger through my heart. 

That was the very first assassination attempt I had faced.

The nanny had slipped into the room under the pretext of checking up on my sleep and tried to stab me with the dagger hidden within her clothes.

Fortunately, I woke up just as she was about to pierce my heart and evaded the blade before pushing her away.

The commotion inside the quiet room attracted the attention of the Knights standing guard, who then broke the door and entered the room.

The nanny was immediately arrested and charged with the attempted murder of a noble. But before she could be interrogated, the nanny killed herself putting an end to the case.

I remember watching as the guards carried her lifeless body out of the prison cell.

The people who sent the assassin, a vassal family of the Frosts, didn't put much effort into hiding their involvement thinking what a mere child would be able to accomplish, which ultimately led to their downfall.

Since that day, I have been dealing with multiple assassination attempts which always ended with the adversaries demise. 

Nevertheless, not once have I ever faltered.

Like the northern silver wolf that thrived through harsh winters, I always stood still despite the number of dangers thrown at me.

However, when Angelica entered my life, things changed.

The aristocrats' plan of utilizing the Serpents to topple the imperial court was thwarted at the price of me taking the Havu curse.

Despite the setback in their plans, the aristocrats' next step was to change the succession of the Frosts duchy by placing one of their own in my seat. 

That too was snipped in the bud by the Frosts engaging in matrimonial ties with a traditional noble family with a history as long as the empire itself. The arrival of the young duchess became a hurdle to the people awaiting my death.

Along with the investigations on the sacrificial ceremony held in the forest restricting their movements, the aristocrats were corned in all directions. 

Enraged by the continuous failure, Angelica became the target of their bitterness. 

On the day Angelica returned after the first attempt at her life, all I could do was listen to her talk about her near-death experience like she was reading a book while I stayed incapacitated by the curse.

The swords that were pointed at me were slowly turning towards Angelica.

Even as I was surrounded by hundreds of men with killing intent, I didn't feel this way.

For the first time in my life, I was helpless.

"Where is it?" 

Angelica grabbed my collar demanding an answer she knew she wouldn't be able to hear. 

"I know it's somewhere in this room. But where?"

Her steady hands let go of my torso and rummaged through every cabinet in the room.

*thud* *thud*

Angelica was frantically searching for something that seemed so important she forgot that she was attacked just a few minutes ago.