Chapter 108

At first glance, it may be unnoticeable.

But the ball decorations hanging from the ceiling throughout the store was a well-organized perceptive illusion designed to keep the normal customers in the dark while only being recognizable to the true patrons of the guild who knew where to look.

This kind of art which appears as a bunch of miscellaneous objects put together but when seen from a particular perspective reveals its true form are anamorphic sculptures.

The balls of various measurements scattered in the store to look like a funky decoration, when looked at from the back end of the children's book section provided a perfect illusion in the shape of an eye.

It meant that everywhere no matter the place, hidden within them there is a third eye watching the world.

"I don't understand. Are you looking for a certain book?" The clerk asked, confused.

The clerk may appear as a harmless young man with a kid-friendly persona on the outside, but the gatekeepers of the guild are not to be underestimated at face value. His eyes were buried beneath his dark orange hair making it impossible to make out its color.

The gatekeepers are the entry-level assassins in the guild. They do the preliminary analysis on the customer before letting them meet the representatives.

"Yes. I'll take the latest edition of 'The Adventures Of The Witty Mr.Knox'. I can't seem to find it from there" Ann pointed back to the children's section at the back of the store.

"Ah.. we ran out of stock on that series. But don't worry, a new shipment just came in"

The clerk asked her to wait and went through the door behind him. He rummaged through the boxes in the backroom and searched for the book. Soon after he came back with a small pocket-sized book and presented it to Ann.

"Got it. Book for your kid?"

"No, it's for me"

"You?" He asked, with a chuckle.

"I mean... the books got a lot more than what meets the eye"

"Do you want me to pack it for you?"

"Yup"

"That will be three silver" The clerk finished packing and placed the book in front of her.

"Oh, wait! I have a discount coupon"

Ann smiled as she pulled out a small blue-colored tassel from her pocket and slid it onto the counter next to the book.

"How about this? Will this suffice?"

The clerk halted and narrowed his eyes on Ann, the previous friendly aura around him now turned into a cold one.

"They come in two parts" Ann added as she continued to smile.

The tassel was originally a part of the assassin's knife Ann had retrieved the night of the third attempt on her life in Frost's mansion of horrors. The knife on the other hand was safely tucked inside her boots, ready for action when needed.

The tassel had a small eye-shaped bead at the center marking the place it came from.

'I was wondering why they would leave obvious evidence of their tracks. But it turns out it was an advertisement. Quite the marketing strategy they've got' Ann thought to herself looking at the blank face of the clerk.

"This way please.."

The clerk said in a low voice as he opened the counter door and guided Ann into the back room,