Chapter 115

"They better pay us for this. We are basically doing their clean-up job" Ann muttered.

She pulled out her dagger from the goblin's head, wiped the blood on its clothes, and put it back on her belt.

Handling monsters in the forest area came under the jurisdiction of the local lords which was the rule throughout Orion.

The Ashfords conducted yearly expeditions to round out the monster population throughout Ashford County and keep them under control whilst making sure that they do not reach any of the residential settlements.

And as a part of it, Maria took Ann on yearly trips to the Finnel mountain during the hunting season. It was something that Angelica continued to follow after Maria's death.

Considering the number of goblins that attacked the entourage Ann deduced that the person in charge was doing a poor job at controlling the monster population in the area.

'The imperial family is a joke' She sighed.

First, it was the Nasia slave traders' case with the Moore family, then the Frost Vs Esdel war that almost happened, not to mention the number of assassins running loose throughout the country... the list went on.

It was evident that the imperial power has been steadily weakening in successive years. It was the reason why in the novel the Crown Prince tried his best to bring Helen into his faction to rise the declining imperial power.

But in the end, he falls head over heels for her, like literally every other guy in the world, and decides to start a war.

'I've lost all faith I had in the imperial family a long time ago. Not that I had any in the first place...' Ann scoffed and shook her head.

"There should be at least an outpost at the town's entrance where we can collect a bounty for these goblins" Eugene said as he jumped down from the carriage, still in his beast form.

"Yeah"

Ann turned towards him and frowned as she said,

"It's just like you said there should be at least eighty dead goblins here"

Talking about goblins reminded her of something that relaxed the tenseness on her face.

She nudged Eugene's arm and smiled mischievously as she said,

"Reminds us of old times huh?"

"It certainly does"

Right then, Ann noticed Kalan getting down from his horse and walking towards them looking grim.

"Umm... Are you alright?"

'Sh*t I forgot about him' She bit her tongue.

"Yes" Kalan replied, looking around at all the scattered bodies of goblins.

"It's actually not a pretty sight. We gotta clean up before we move. Might take a while though"

As they were talking Oliver came running towards them with a panicked face.

"Hey!"

He whispered something in Ann's ear that caused her eyes to grow wide.

"What?! How?!"

"You should come and take a look"

Oliver pointed towards the front and started walking away without waiting.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Kalan. We need to go"

"Is there a problem?"

"No....  You should check on your men too"