• SHAPE SHIFTER •

"Um - so far it's an 'A' in French and a 'B' minus in Econ."

Isaac sat slumped at the dinner table. He hunched over, staring at the fork his father was dragging across the plate opposite him. He'd rather look at that than his fathers face.

"Oh. What about chemistry?" Mr Lahey asked calmly.

'I'm not sure," Isaac lied. "Uh, midterms are in a few days so it could go up."

Isaac was terrible at chemistry, let alone school. Nothing besides lacrosse really interested him. Sometimes he enjoyed art, but that was it. Without Marley, his grades would be scarily lower than what they were; she tutored him most times when he went to her house.

"Well what's it at now?" His father asked calmly.

"The grade?" Isaac played dumb, hoping to take an advantage.

"Yeah."

"Um, I'm not sure."

"But you just said it could go up," Mr Lahey pushed.

"I just - uh, I meant generally."

There was a pause.

"You wouldn't be lying to me, would you, Isaac?"

"No," Isaac shot back quickly. If his dad knew his grade, there would be trouble. But also not telling him was causing a commotion.

"Then tell me the grade."

"I just told you I don't know," Isaac rushed in a shakey voice. Only ten minutes ago, he was laughing through the phone to Marley after hearing about her day. Now, he was wishing Marley would walk through the door and put an end to the whole thing.

Marley would often get texts from Isaac saying that his dad was mad at him. She would then proceed to conveniently end up at the door and politely remind Isaac that they were supposed to be hanging out.

"You wanna take this little conversation downstairs?" To this, Isaac shook his head hopelessly. "No? Then tell me the grade, son."

"Dad, this semester's only half over," he desperately defended. Isaac was sure his heart beat had risen to an inhumane speed. His heart beat wasn't the only thing inhumane in the room.

"Isaac?"

"There's plenty of time."

"Isaac."

"It's- it's a 'D'."

There was little to no reaction. Mr Lahey wiped his face with his napkin and cupped his mug in his hand casually. Something still scared Isaac, like he was alert for his fathers next move.

"All right. It's a "D". I'm not angry. You know I'm gonna have to find a way to punish you though. You know, I have my responsibility as a parent," Mr Lahey said calmly once again. "So we'll start with something simple, like, uh - Tell you what, you do the dishes and you clean up the kitchen, okay?"

A small weight was lifted off of Isaac's shoulders. He felt like he could let down his guard for a second. "Yeah."

"Good. Because I - I'd really like to see this place spotless. Know what I'm saying? You know? I mean this entire kitchen." In one big sweep, the entirety of the kitchen table had been thrown to the floor. Isaac leapt from his chair and automatically shrivelled in the corner of the room, covering his face. "Yeah! Yeah, absolutely spotless."