• SILVERFINGER •

"Marley. Marley wake up. Marley."

A bright light shone directly into Marley's eyes as she lifted her head up. She squinted and looked at her surroundings. Liam stood in front of her, concerned and confused.

"Mmh. What?" Marley hummed, seeing that she was sat at the kitchen table using her arms as a pillow. "Why am I here?"

"I don't know, I came down and you were sleeping here," Liam said. He had his bag over one shoulder and his lacrosse stick in his hand. Marley sat up straight and thought deeply as to why she had been asleep in the kitchen. She thought she had fallen asleep in bed. In fact, she was sure because Isaac had dropped her off and stayed with her until she fell asleep.

"I must have gotten up in my sleep," Marley said, rubbing her eyes with the palms of her hands. A shiver ran up her spine; it was early November and Marley's pyjamas were shorter than short. She moved one hand to her leg and immediately recoiled at the cold feeling. She didn't know if it was her hand or leg that was frozen. "What time is it?"

"Ten minutes before we need to leave for school," Liam said, walking into the open living room and falling onto the sofa. "But I don't mind being a bit late. I've got a quiz first period."

"Shit," Marley mumbled, remembering the knowledge exam she had. The exam was for people that wanted to be guaranteed a place in the higher classes in senior year. Marley wanted it because it would look on a job application. The only other person she knew that was taking it was Lydia. Marley stood up and trudged towards the stairs. She could hear Liam's video games from where she was and felt strangely irritated by them. Not to mention she felt watched. Constantly watch.

...

When Isaac didn't pick Marley up for school, she went to call him, only to find three texts left from him and Allison. She hadn't heard them during the night.

My Cedric ♥️
Hey, we need to go to Allison's to help with everything xx

Silly Silver
You awake? Isaac said you were really tired. You don't have to help if you don't want to

My Cedric ♥️
Text me when you wake up
Hope everything's okay xx

She replied quickly, telling them both that she had an exam and wouldn't be able to leave and help until after. Isaac replied in less that a minute, since he was constantly glancing down at his phone to see if Marley had texted. Once she had, he felt a weight off his chest. They agreed that the Argents car would be waiting outside the school by the time that the exam finished.

...

The black ink pen in Marley's hand slipped slightly from the stickiness of her sweet. She rubbed her brow with her fingers, trying to knock the headache that was becoming more an irritation. The exam was almost over, with another ten minutes or so left. Marley had just about finished, with only one question yet to be completed.

Looking down at the white washed test, Marley struggled to read the words in front of her. It was a longer question, with around ten empty lines to fill with an answer. It was a simple question, but she struggled the most with it. The words in front of her seemed to trip her mind as she read, twisting and contorting into a sea of black ink.

Marley put pen to paper. Her hand shook, the tip of her pen drawing a crinkled letter. The first word she wrote looked as if she had written it with her opposite hand, if it was even readable. She sighed and sat up, pulling the paper closer to her and holding it with her hand. This time, she gripped the pen tighter between her fingers and continued to write a sloppy sentence. Marley's head pounded like a heavy brick and her eyes watered desperately. A subtle buzzing noise that sounded like electricity tickled her ear. She frowned and sucked in her lips, messily scribbling another sentence into the answer box. She kept whispering 'come on' as she wrote. Her fingers cramped tightly at the strength she had been putting on the pen. The electric sound had become louder, more aggressive. It was like it was echoed off the room walls. Her wrist gave in as she finished the last sentence, releasing the pen from her grasp instantly.