I 44 I

I open my eyes slowly, blinking the darkness away. My surroundings appear around me gradually. I'm in my room, at home, which is weird because I remember being at Adrien's a few seconds ago. 

'Hello?' A familiar voice says from across the room. 'Who's there?' 

'Marinette?' I frown, sitting up in my bed. 'What's going on? Why am I here?' 

'W-who are you? And why do you look like me?' Marinette backs away slowly, dropping her bag on the floor. 

'Um, I'm your sister,' I say, blinking back surprise. 'Have you lost your memory? Did something happen?' 

'I don't know you,' Mari says with a suspicious expression. 'And what are you doing in my room?' 

'What do you mean? This is my room,' I say, glancing around the walls. My mouth drops open. It really isn't my room. Pictures of Adrien line the walls, and my decorations are gone. 'You know what, never mind.' 

'Who are you?' Marinette repeats. 

'I'm your twin sister,' I explain fervently. 'I don't know why you don't remember me, but I can prove that I know you.' 

'Go on,' Marinette crosses her arms, sitting down at her desk. 

'You're Marinette Dupain-Cheng, and I'm Y/n Dupain- Cheng.' I start slowly. 'You're Ladybug, a superhero who saves Paris at least once a week.' 

'How did you?-' 

'And it appears you still have a crush on Adrien Agreste, even though I last remember you dating Luka Couffaine. Your best friend is Alya Cesaire, and you're also friends with Rose, Juleka, Mylene, and Nino.' I stop. 'Have I forgotten anything?' 

Marinette's eyes grow wide. 'Why do I have no memory of you?' 

'I have no idea. I can't remember either.' I shake my head. 

'Marinette? Are you up there?' Mom's voice says from below. 

'Hide,' Mari hisses. I dive behind her bed. 

'It's almost time to go to school, Mari,' Mom says. 'Are you ready yet?' 

'Yep,' Marinette says, fake-smiling. 'Gotta...be-uh early!' 

'Okay then,' Mom looks surprised. 'Have a good day!' 

Mom leaves the room, closing the door behind her. Once she's gone fully down the stairs, Mari beckons for me to follow her. 

We make it out of the house without anyone spotting us. 

'I need to find out what's going on,' I insist. 'I'm going to come to school with you-posing as your cousin for now. Okay?' 

'You think they'll buy that?' Mari looks skeptical. 

'Trust me, people are blind.'