47) Sanity Of Do-Gooders

isobeljones2000

Dashi's POV: The polar bear and the white furred wolf were still attached to the wall. The Captain was struggling against the shackles. The cat was back talking to two other people over the radio. They all said they knew me. I knew none of them at all. Maybe I had amnesia. Maybe they were telling the truth.

"Where's Tweak?" shouted the cat again. I wanted to tell him to shut up, to stop repeating himself, but part of me told me no, to not yell at him. Even though I felt like it so much...

The pain from my wrists was burning, but I didn't show it on my face. Showing other people fear is weakness. And weakness means people can hurt you.

"We need to get out of here. Just standing around talking isn't going to help us," said the guy called Barnacles.

"But your shackles..." the cat said. What kind of name was Kwazii, anyway? Or Tweak?

"I need to find Tweak," said Kwazii obligingly on cue to my thoughts.

Suddenly there was a loud click and both Selene and Barnacles crumpled on the ground, their shackles suddenly unlocked. They looked dazed but unharmed, and Barnacles wasted no time, quickly racing across the room to Selene and meeting her lips with a warm kiss. I looked away.

And met the eyes of a sea otter, standing in the doorway.

Kwazii spoke. "Shellington."

KateSeleneMelody3OCS

Peso's POV: I couldn't help but smile as Tunip dashed in the direction Shellington had gone. "He really is a brave little guy." I murmured.

Kate smiled. "Takes one to know one," she whispered.

I scoffed. "Please. You're the brave one. You withstood Damien's poison!" I replied.

"You managed to escape Fiona!" she shot back.

Before I could reply to that, Kate came up with a solution to our mini argument. "How about we agree that we are both really brave people?" she murmured.

I smiled. "Deal." I replied, kissing her again. We could have been anywhere, but it didn't matter where we were, as long as we were together, and as long as we loved each other.

"Aww, what an adorable couple!" a voice said in mock kindness.

Instinctively, I shielded Kate from Fiona's sight. Fiona scoffed. "Please, Peso. I'm not going to hurt your little girlfriend. Damien did a good job of that already," she said, obviously annoyed for some reason. Maybe because she was still bitter about Shellington kissing her, or maybe about doubting Damien.

Then she held a gun up to me.

I was dimly aware of Kate shouting: "No! Don't you dare!"

Fiona fired, and a bullet embedded itself in my leg. Jarring pain shot through my body immediately. Then Fiona smirked and left the room. It was impossible to second guess that woman. One moment she's shooting at you then randomly leaves. Unless -

Unless she knew there was nothing else she could do.

I looked down at the wound, and instantly, my face paled. Instantly, I knew that the bullet had punctured my femoral artery. I also knew that if the femoral artery was punctured, one could bleed out in less then four and a half minutes if they avoided immediate treatment. Kate's eyes widened as she saw the wound.

"I love you, Kate..." I whispered.

She didn't reply, but she did untie her hair ribbon, then retied it around the wound. "It may not be a bandage, but it should work until we get you to a hospital," she said authoritatively.