Chapter 18

Dua's P.O.V

I knew I was going to be in trouble when I took in Dr. Amna's worried expression.

We were all sitting in the bus all ready to go when like I realized I forgot to pick my handbag from reception in haste like always. I slapped my forhead at my this bad habit of forgetting things here and there. There were five minutes left since the bus starts. I informed my senior professor and told them to wait for more ten minutes for me while I pick my bag from there.

I got down the bus after telling my friends who offered to come with me but I reject thir offer saying I would be fine. I was running back in hurry towards the bus since we were all getting late because of me when I bumped into Dr. Amna.

She was looking tense with a worried expression on her face.
"Are you alright mam? Sorry I didn't saw you."
I apologized hurriedly and she looked at me in shock.

"Shouldn't you in the bus? I thought you guys have gone already."
She asked me while I looked at her embarrassed.

"I forgot my handbag in reception. I came to pick it up. They're all waiting for me. But what happened to you? You're looking very worried?"
I asked in concern and she shook her head.

"A patient has just come. She's critical and need immediate medical attention. We can't risk sending her to general hospital since I'm afraid she'll loose her life even before reaching there. But I can't operate her alone. I need another doctor. Dr. Abis can't help since the patient's family is quite conservative and considering he's a male doctor they don't want him to operate with me."
She explained hurriedly and was about to go when I held her hand to stop her.

"Can I help?"
I asked and she looked at me in bafflement.
"But you have to go. You guys are already getting late and you can't delay because of hospital rules. If you stay how're you gonna get back?"
She asked a series of questions and I smiled at her.

"Let's keep the debate of me going back to later. Right now we have to save someone's life. I won't be able to sleep calmly at night if I left knowing that I had the chance to save someone's life and I let it go."
I whispered with determination and Dr. Amna patted my back in proud.

I informed my friends about my stay and told them to inform the crew and leave. They understood my decision. Umar even suggested to stay with me but I denied it knowing I will put him into unnecessary trouble. I already had my handbag which had my mobile and some money in it so I didn't had to go back to the bus again to pick my things.

I immediately got into my medical gown and went to operation theatre. After two hours of a tiresome surgery the women was out of danger. I even got to know from her husband that she had a four year old son. I thanked God for making me able to save her life.

Dr. Amna informed me that they cancelled their plan of staying here for vacation and are going back with me and they'll drop me back home safe and sound. I didn't want to ruin their plans but it wasn't safe for me to go back alone since I knew nothing about this area.

I was sitting on a chair with my back resting against the wall when small hands tugged at my tights and I looked down to see a small boy pouting at me adorably.

" Doctol! whele's my mumma?"
(Doctor! where's my mother?)
He asked in his childish voice and I gave him a charming smile already had a hint who the boy must be.

"Baby! How can I know about your mumma?"
I asked him mimicking child like voice and picked him in my arms.

"I'm no baby. I'm big boy and Baba said you ale my mumma doctor."
He replied pouting and I giggled at his innocent expression and put him down. I got up from my seat and bent down to his level