CHAPTER 13

THE NORTHERN most region of Eckrett Empire was a land of ice and beasts. No one dared to venture there afraid to meet their deaths by the sharp glaziers or by the savage beasts that could only be found in that area. No one dared but two tribes, the Arin Tribe and the Teiwar Tribe. They were an equally savage tribe that strived on that land. Or so what the people of Eckrett believed but the king knew that beyond those dangers laid a mine that would change the power play of the seven continents. And so the king conquered the nomadic tribes beyond the Mynron Cliffs. King Elphaim waged war among the four tribes beyond the great cliff and won. But though the four warrior tribes were defeated and were now under King Elphaim's rule, their hearts remained like before.

They separated their lives from the newly unified continent called the Eckrett Empire. Because of the worse climate condition and the promise of feral beasts lurking every corner, no noble ever dared to venture beyond the Mynron Cliffs that served as a boundary between the northern region and the Eckrett Empire. This caused quite a headache to the king, he could not force his way to the mines, because if he did, other countries would have a reason to wage war against the Eckrett Empire. After all, that mine held a great number of platinum.

And that's the hidden agendum in this Hunt, hiding behind the pretext of unifying the great empire.

The grand drapes of the King's throne room were something that Tori did not mind as her ruby eyes scanned her surrounding with great interest. Two days after the awful incident on the other side of the river happened, King Elphaim summoned all the Vestas candidates together with the two princes.

And here they were, the left side of the throne room was occupied by the aristocratic faction namely Prince Corean and Tori while the right side had Prince Lauren and Sabina. Before them sat the old king on his golden throne-like he had the entire world beneath his feet.

"I summoned you all here to announce that anytime now, I will formally call a royal edict to start the Hunt for the Elysian crown and the search for the winner of the Vesta Challenge. Unlike from all the other Hunts and Vesta Challenges you have surely all read from the empire's history books, this generation will be different."

Of course. You have placed a hidden agenda in these events. Your greed knows no end, Your Majesty. Tori glanced at the princely-looking Prince Corean. He was standing a foot before her but she could still make out the sharp contours of his angel woven face. Who will believe that beyond that angelic face lays a two-faced demon? Well, like I could talk when I am the same as him or much worse.

The King's sapphire eyes scanned Tori and Sabina before gesturing for them to step forward. Now Tori was standing side by side with Prince Corean. "Now, for the Vestas. You have only one task and that is to help your chosen king. Make him accept you before this week ends and if your chosen king will accept you then you can formally participate in the Vesta Challenge. Should you fail to get the approval meant that you forfeit your one-time chance to be the queen of this empire."

Tori's eyes widened upon hearing the condition to be able to formally participate in the Vesta Challenge. In her peripheral vision, she saw how the second prince smirked. Tori already realized how hard this would be for her.

I will conquer you, Prince Corean Shuia Eckrett. And when I do, I will wipe that smirk off your pretty face.

King Elphaim continued, "I will grant your free pass in the royal palace to earn the hearts of my sons. Use it well for there will be no second chances in this game."

Game. He's right. This is all a part of this old fool's game. The Northern Territory is the real prize of this game.

Tori's ruby red eyes glinted with mischief before she curtsied to the king together with her wretched half-sister. "Thank you for your benevolence, Your Majesty. May the blessings of the Goddess Gaia rained down upon you."