CHAPTER 24

CORY WANTED to gag as he talked trashed in front of the aristocratic faction. With the way things were, he would lose the support of the aristocratic faction. His plan was a double-edged sword for him. But he would be a villain if he had to. He needed to defeat Lauren in this game he started. It was bad enough that he hired an assassin like Tessa to seduce him. He could bet that Lauren's plan would involve killing him should Tessa failed to seduce him. Cory scoffed inwardly.

His troubled heart calmed when he saw the telltale sign of his beloved entering the secret room. Steeling himself to make it appear that he was loathing Victoria which was the exact opposite, Merilla started the meeting. For the nth time today, Corean wanted to scoff. He was amazed at Merilla's talent fooling everyone including him.

And so did the meeting started. Suggestions and arguments were exchanged in front of him which was all futile for him. He watched how Merilla acted all concern.

Lord Wolfgang suggested. "How about we shift our blame to the commoner? After all, this was all her fault that was taken advantage of by the noble faction. Let us prosecute her while claiming that the Prince Corean has nothing to do with her."

Cory could immediately feel the zap of tension when he felt Victoria's gaze upon. Mastering all his will, his cold eyes regarded Lord Wolfgang which made the latter paled. Merilla's eyes were observing him. His reaction would dictate if Tessa succeeded in seducing him.

"Our main concern is to help Tessa. She's innocent in all of this chaos. I am the one that brought this into her." Cory clapped internally as he was able to say those words without wincing.

Victoria's eyes were closed as she smiled demurely at him. Cory clenched his fists knowing his words caused that. He could imagine how disappointed she was with him. But for him, he would rather be a disappointment than turn a blind eye to his brother's schemes.

Merilla frowned as if she was disappointed with him, but Cory saw the flash of victory for split second in her snake-like eyes. Finally, Merilla asked Victoria whom she was targeting to ask from the start. This meeting was a farce just to know Victoria's plan against the noble faction or Tessa. This was the reason why Merilla would always be one step ahead of Victoria. But as long as he continued his deception, he would be two steps ahead of his brother and Merilla.

"Lady Victoria, I would like to hear your thoughts about this."

Victoria's brows raised but she did set her teacup down to answer Lady M. "I agree with the second prince. He's the one who brought this into her so why prosecute the poor soul? That's the noble faction's job. But, your highness, have you ever considered that Tessa is being used to bargain with you? A bargain like, surrender your claim to the throne and they will spare your beloved Tessa."

Chaos erupted inside the room but a raging storm between Cory and Victoria was also brewing as they looked at each other challengingly. "Your reason would cause further shackles for Tessa. Be careful Lady Victoria. You're treading on thin ice."

Cory was afraid that Merilla might think that Victoria already busted them though he knew it would impossible. As long as Victoria believed that Merilla wanted him, the second prince, to succeed the throne then his beloved would never win.

Victoria gave them a toothy grin, he knew right there that she was starting to get irritated already. "I am only stating my honest opinion, your highness. Please do forgive my impertinence. But if I may, I have another concern."

Victoria's last four words alerted him.

"What is it?" asked Cory together with Merilla. All chaos around them stopped when they saw how serious the leader of the aristocratic faction was.