CHAPTER 26

CORY'S BODY went rigid after receiving Prince Yei Lin's reports. Merilla was on the move since King Elphaim sent a summons to the aristocratic faction and noble faction that he would invite the candidates to his castle. "Everything is in motion," said Cory while looking outside the windows of Monakre's pavilion.

"And so are the enemies. Lady Sabina Rozenreff was last seen in the Back Alley together with Lady Merill Larat," said Prince Yei Lin, who was standing behind Corean. "Are you absolutely sure about this, Prince Corean? Tori did her best to support you."

Cory glanced at the crown prince. Instead of answering his question, he shrugged. "I want to see her. I can do that, right? I can be selfish just for one night, right?"

Prince Yei Lin understood him. Victoria would hate him more once King Elphaim would summon them. He wanted to hold on as much as he could. "One night? I know how you always sneak into her room and watch her sleep until dawn breaks. The correct term will be your last night sneaking in her room."

Cory hid his emotions as he smiled gently at the crown prince. The latter was right. Since that wretched day when he separated his path from Victoria, Cory compensated his desire to be with her by simply watching her room or sneaking in just to stare at her sleeping soundly.

It pained him to know that even this privilege would be taken away as he drifted apart from her. But this was his choice, a choice that he would be willing to take a million times over just to save her from impending death.

AND SO he did come to her place. For a good hour, Cory just stood under her balcony as he hid behind the shadows of a tree. Cory was about to begin his climb only to be stopped midway when her balcony opened. Clad in her nightgown and bathed in the light of a million stars, Victoria's messy ringlets flowed freely when a gentle breeze welcomed her as she walked rather ungracefully towards the railings. Her attention was towards the night sky while Cory's was into her.

The silence of the night helped Cory to hear what she was saying. "I will get what I deserve. To trust means giving that someone permission to betray you, there's no need to trust anyone just to succeed. I have myself for that thank you very much."

Corean froze. He knew. He knew how Victoria hated the world, but hearing it directly from her still pained him. Cory wanted to try even once. Stepping out to the light, he called her name repeatedly. "Victoria!"

Victoria was about to go inside when she stopped upon hearing his calls. Walking back to the edge of her balcony, Victoria looked down as she gave him a questioning look.

"What do you want, you pompous prince?" Victoria hissed her words. He smiled for a split second upon hearing her genuine feelings for him. She showed with her words that she hated his presence instead of smiling down at him with fake sugary smiles of her.

Cory opened his arms. "Jump! I need to talk to you."

What he did was not out of his whim. He knew it was impossible, but the act of Victoria jumping down would mean absolute trust from her. Knowing the result, Cory still opened his arms for her.

Though impossible, he wanted her to look back at this particular moment. That once upon a time, a not-so-prince-charming wanted her to throw caution to the wind and just trust him to catch her no matter what. "Are you crazy?" Victoria leaned down as she replied to him who was still opening his arms wide.

"First, I'm pompous and now I'm crazy. You need a lesson for disrespecting me. But now, jump."

The moment that Victoria walked inside, not even looking back at her, Cory's smile vanished. Remembering what Prince Yei Lin told me, he climbed to her balcony without hesitation. Fishing out the key that Prince Yei Lin provided him, Cory was able to enter her room with ease.