CHAPTER 23

Ennoblement Ceremony of Sir Oswald Sponsored by the Noble Faction

AFTER THE incident in his greenhouse, Cory had yet to see Victoria again. And now, he was looking forwards to take a glimpse at her even from afar.

"Announcing the arrival of the royal family! May the blessings of the Goddess Gaia rained upon you!"

King Elphaim and Queen Aurina together with the two princes entered the grand banquet regally. The air of dominance whipped around them with equal grace. All of them showed respect to the highest authority in the empire. Cory simply scanned the assembly hall to see the pair of cherry eyes that he wanted to see for many days already.

As soon as they situated in the banquet, the aristocratic faction and noble faction flocked around the king and queen.

King Elphaim stood in front of them. "Innovations keep our glorious empire prosperous for many years. With the help of our magicians, the empire led the continent by having the most number of innovative discoveries. Today, I am glad that Duke Luwen Rozenreff found the greatest talent the empire has yet to see! Let me present you, Sir Oswald!"

"That Oswald has a talent, brother," observed Cory that was intended for Prince Lauren to listen.

Lauren tapped his shoulder as if they were close enough for this kind of interaction, but Cory went along. He wanted his brother to see that he was far from the cool and gentle Corean like before. He wanted everyone to maintain their impression of him that he was rebelling.

In some ways, he was indeed rebelling. Cory was rebelling against his brother and his once trusted friend, Merilla.

"I am glad that my faction noticed him first, brother. He is indeed a rare gem." Lauren boasted his feat to Cory which the latter did not mind. He knew first hand who was Oswald loyal to, his fiery beloved.

"That indeed, brother."

The booming echoes of the clapping sound from the audience welcomed the smiling Oswald as it interrupted Cory and Lauren's conversation. Scanning the field of nobles and aristocrats, Cory finally found what he was looking for, the only reason why he attended the goddess-forsaken banquet.

Cory stopped clapping his hands midway as his axis stopped spinning when he witnessed the smiling face of Victoria, who was standing in the corner as if she was afraid to be noticed, no, as if she attended the banquet as an audience.

Her smile was contagious that it almost made Cory forgot that there were eyes on him. His heart was warm as he witnessed a genuine smile from her where her left dimple showed. Cory had to take a sip from the goblet of wine that he was holding as he averted his gaze from the temptress in the midst.

The old magician walked towards the king as he was being introduced to high society. Cory was just watching the subtle exchange between Oswald and his beloved. His observation was disrupted when King Elphaim, his father, continued his speech.

"Though he came from humble origins, he has proven his self useful for the empire. Thus, I would like to let Sir Oswald's benefactor decide for his new house name as we all welcome this magician to the high society!"

Another round of applause erupted while Duke Luwen Rozenreff stepped forward in front of Oswald to grant him a house name. "Starting today, you will be a member of high society. On behalf of the noble faction, I welcome you, Sir Oswald John."

Just as Cory expected, his faction members were not happy with how Oswald, a growing talent of the empire, was being ennobled by Duke Luwen Rozenreff from the noble faction. If they only knew who owns the great magician.