CHAPTER 35

LILIAN STARED at the dress that Lady Tori gifted her for the first time. She remembered vividly how worried she was for the young miss. But after Lady Tori fell from the stairs, the latter's somber and sullen eyes flipped. From there on, she witnessed how the indecisive mistress Lilian served became a fine young lady. She saw how Lady Tori swallowed her tears to strengthen the fortress that she built around herself. Lilian also saw how the said indestructible fortress crumbled when Lady Tori found out about the second prince's sacrifice.

For the first time, Lady Tori sought Lilian's help. The feeling was unidentifiable for Lilian who agonized about Tori's lonesome actions. She knew that behind those villainous actions hid a lonely person.

Glancing at the dawn breaking as it reflected in her windows, Lilian realized that today was the day that Lady Tori was going to fight for Prince Corean's life.

Dusting off her dress, the loyal handmaiden opened her windows to welcome the white owl that she was waiting for since last night. As Lilian opened the message holder, she read the reply that she waited for so long. "I see," whispered Lilian as she stared at the scribbled handwriting on the torn parchment in her hand. She took her ready-made reply and rolled it. Inserting her rolled parchment to the message holder, Lilian ushered the white owl. "Go and make our master happy."

Lilian watched the white owl flapped its wings away from her. She had hoped that after this day, her master would finally smile genuinely.

The growing spy network among the noble's or aristocrat's handmaidens stretched to the servants from the royal palace. And now, she was in cohorts with one. Lilian realized that to win battles among the beasts that hid behind the higher society's façade, she needed information. And most of all, she wanted to be the ears and eyes for Lady Tori.

I don't want to see that scene again.

Lilian hated watching her mistress surrendered against the enemies. She blamed herself for being lacking, resulting in Lady Tori suffering in front of the empire. The young handmaiden's eyes glazed with determination. She swore to do everything in her power to avoid that scene from happening again.

DUKE ROWAN Cristof Castaña spent his entire day just to complete the mission that Tori gave him. The hue of crimson red and purple splashed at the sky as if warning him of the impending battle this day. The young duke knew how Tori prepared for this day. He saw how she neglected her sleep to oversee every detail of her plan. Rowan knew how Tori anticipated every move from the enemies, which strengthened his resolve.

This empire needs someone like Tori.

The young duke strode inside the Castaña Duchy. The butler welcomed his return. "Blessings to the Empire's spear and shield, Duke Rowan Castaña."

"Prepare me my bath; I have a noble trial to attend."

Upon hearing his words, the butler froze. The latter knew how hectic the young duke was since the commotion with the heir apparent of the Rozenreff Duchy. His master was attending secret meetings here and there that he could not help but worry if Duke Rowan ever rested. But looking at its cobalt eyes, the butler knew he could not stop him. All he got to do was support the lord of the Castaña Duchy. "Yes, my lord."

When the butler left, Rowan stopped his strides in front of the gigantic painting of his ancestor. Looking up, he knew that if he was still alive, he would condemn Rowan. The Castaña Duchy was known for being loyalists to the imperial family. But what he was doing right now was the contradiction of what everyone expected him to do.

But he did not regret the devotion he showed toward Tori, not one bit, because if it was not for Tori, he would surely remain in the Back Alley until his unfortunate death. Orphans like him would not survive in the slums.