CHAPTER 19

TORI HELD the reigns of the chestnut-colored mare tightly. Even with her glove-covered hand and heavily covered body with bear's pelt, she could still feel the numbing cold of the night as she stood atop of the cliff that was the border of the Arin Tribe. She could see the telltale sign of the opposing militia's camp as torches surrounded them.

Two days passed since the fated first meeting that Tori attended. After giving Chief Keiran her insights and suggestions, she felt that the young chief respected Tori after hearing what she had to say. Tori could still remember what transpired on the night of her first meeting.

Tori was calmly sipping her favorite Chamomile Tea that Lily thoughtfully wrapped inside her pouch. She was the one that brewed them thanks to Akasha gave, who her earlier a kettle and the closest thing to a teacup, a mug.

She was contemplating on her next move against the House of Zoliel as she sat near the fireplace with a knitted blanket on her lap when three successive knocks disturbed her quality time.

When she opened her door, Tori was taken aback by the looming silhouette of Chief Keiran. Smiling at the straight-faced young chief, Tori curtsied. She was secretly thankful that she was wearing a well-covered nightdress.

"To what do I owe the pleasure of your night visit, Your Grace?"Fixing her messy golden ringlets to the other side of her neck, Tori gave Chief Keiran an alluring smile.

"Can I come in?"

If we lived in my time as Talia, I would have expected a different outcome from your question.

Opening her door to give him access to enter her room, Tori replied. "It would be my pleasure, Your Grace."

The stiff-looking young chieftain walked briskly to the seat that Tori occupied earlier. With his back on her, Tori looked slowly towards him. "Why are you here, Chief Keiran?"

He only glanced at his back where she was standing, not fully facing her. "Your strategy. Where do you learn to make something like that? It's – "

"Barbaric? Savage" Sliding her bare hands to his well-tones bare chest, Tori waited for him to pry her hands away from him which he never did.

What a naughty boy, Chief Keiran.

"Tell me, am I not what you expect, Kei-ran?" Tori whispered his name to his left ear. She was now leaning toward him. "That strategy will bring death to your fellow northerners but is it now what you want? The moment that you usurped the throne from your father, you should have expected this, my dear young chieftain. The death of those poor souls will be on your hands, forever."

Tori could feel his frantic heartbeat beneath her hands on his chest which made her grin slyly. In the end, you are still a man.

Chief Keiran refused to hold her but he was gentleman enough not to pry her hands away from him. He just let her teased him.

"I know that, Lady Victoria. And I will forever bring their deaths as I open the northern region to the world. With that, I will need your wisdom."

"And in return?" Tori hugged him now from the back as he sat while she crouched. Her golden ringlets touching his bare shoulders and her warm breath blew into his ear.

For the first time, Chief Keiran touched her. He grasped her right wrist and in one strong pull, Tori was now standing in front of him as he still sat straight. The young chief tilted his head to look up to her, his firm hand holding her dainty wrist.