CHAPTER 18

CLAD IN her red outdoor dress, embroidered by black-colored crows from the bottom to her waist. Her thick black gloves accentuated her black pearls that surrounded her bun-styled hair and neck. Tori covered her dress with a bear's pelt that kept her from the cold. She wore leather heeled boots, but the cold from the thick snow on her path still made her toes numb.

Though it was still morning, the fog in the snowy mountains and the darkened sky from the constant snow gave a dark atmosphere around the tribe. In their path towards the main cottage of the tribe where the elders resided, torches guided their way. Before her, Chief Keiran walked together with his vassal warriors. Meanwhile, Tori was walking with Akasha who kept on babbling about the Arin Tribe's history which she Tori already read from Trifecta Academy.

Tori was just smiling sweetly at Akasha the whole time as her mind flew to the meeting that she would be attending later. She knew that she had to impress the elders without stepping into their rules and customs.

Minutes passed and Tori could see the imposing enormous cottage surrounded by smaller ones. Larger torches surrounded it as more people could be seen. As they passed the people, they bowed to their young chieftain. It was clear in their eyes that they truly respected him which Tori noted. She would use anything at her disposal to keep her head from rolling. When the people finally saw her, an unfamiliar person, wariness swept their smiling faces as if her being in their place was an ominous thing.

Well, they are somewhat right. Me being here meant their peaceful days are long over.

Tori followed Chief Keiran and his vassals inside the cottage. The sight that welcomed her the moment she was inside the main hall of the enormous cottage astounded Tori. Large torches in the wall and a large beast's pelt decorated the center wall of the main hall. At the center of the room was a huge rectangular wooden table where a group of elderly surrounded. On the table was a map of the Eckrett Empire with pawns loitered everywhere on it.

The air shifted the moment that Chieftain Keiran set aside to introduce her to the council who was scrutinizing her from her skin to her very core. Tori steeled herself and gave them her infamous sugary smile.

"This is Lady Victoria Rozenreff, Prince Lin's help. She will be giving her guidance to win this war."

Words of dissatisfaction resonated inside the main hall as the elders showed their opinions to Crown Prince Yei Lin's choice of aide.

"A Rozenreff in our midst?"

"What if she's a king's spy?" Well, technically. But I am not on the king's side.

"Why do we need help from a little girl? Does she even know what a battle looks like?" I have fought many battles in my way. Thank you very much, old jerk

Chieftain Keiran and Akasha could not control the elders' outburst so they only took their seats and left her hanging as she became the punching bag of their criticisms. Tori could not help but raised her eyebrows from the offending feedback but chose to raise her right hand calmly.

"Pardon my intrusion, lords, and ladies. I am Victoria Rozenreff, future head of the Rozenreff Duchy, and a supporter of the aristocratic faction. I am also aiming for the Vesta Challenge. I will defeat your enemy and in exchange, you will owe me a request in the future. That is my goal and motive by coming here. Now that you know why I am here standing in front of you, I hope that it will be clear why I am risking too much by coming here."

Tori prepared this kind of approach in case she would receive this kind of reception. Sometimes offense is the best defense. It is better now that I am not here to betray them since I have a goal of my own, a goal that would also benefit them.