5 - I'll Piss in Your Garden

Kaiden

Senior year isn't the piece of cake I thought it would be, we are drowning in work.

The teachers are on our asses about SATs, extra credit classes and all that. At least it's a Saturday today, so we have half day off. By the time break arrives, I can barely keep my eyes open after the double physics.

"If I had a time machine, I would go back and kill all of the people who invented physics!" I moan, digging into my lunch.

"You just uttered the stupidest thing in existence of mankind, Kaiden. And here I thought Ryan was dumb," Alex says. I ignore him.

"Hey guys! How are you today?" Sasha walks to us, her ponytail swishing, effectively diverting the attention.

"Hey Sasha! Heard you vacationed in the Maldives this year?!" Bella smiles. I blink.

How the hell does she know everything?

"Who told you? But yeah, it was the best vacation of my whole life! I spent my birthday there!" Sasha chirps, placing a hand on Daniel's shoulder. He lights up like a Christmas tree.

"Anyway, I'm throwing a party tonight! You know, like a welcome back thing? More like a late birthday thing actually. I want all of you guys to come, okay?"

Everyone hoots in agreement. It is a wonder her parents don't mind the ragers she hosts but she is stinking rich. Her spending habits probably don't even dent their fortune.

"See you tonight then!" Sasha laughs and walks away, her hips swaying.

"Finally something good! It's only been two weeks of school and I already can't wait for winter break!" Ryan groans.

"I totally feel you Ryan. Being seniors is hectic, all the faculty is pressuring us. I'm failing my classes if they continue like that!" Raven sighs. She rests her head on my shoulder.

"Anyone planning to go out of state for college?" she asks.

"Yep, me. If I get accepted that is. My mom doesn't want less than an Ivy, but who's gonna afford that shit? I don't think I'm getting a scholarship," Alex sighs.

My eyes travel to the cafeteria entrance. Aaron is there, talking to Timmy.

"Ugh, why's Aaron talking to the fag?" Daniel asks. The word fag is spat out, his face contorted.

"Dan, don't call him that!" Bella says sharply.

"Why not? He is a fag, isn't he?"

"That's a derogatory term! He is your friend first and if you don't have nice things to say, just keep your trap shut," Bella snaps.

Our whole table falls silent at her outburst.

Daniel looks pissed but keeps quiet. The realisation that my best friend is homophobic, makes my stomach drop to my feet.

I stand up and stride outside. I make my way to the bleachers, heart racing. It felt so personal even when the words weren't directed to me. I am not ready to face that conversation yet.

To my surprise, Nathan's kicking a soccer ball around, alone. I watch him deftly do some tricks. He moves with such ease, it's mesmerizing to watch.

The ball rolls to my feet and I pick it up.

"What? Give it back already!" he snaps.

"Beats me why you're practicing now, with a school uniform on? You seem pissed off."

He looks worn out, like he didn't get much sleep last night. Maybe the coffee really did cost a lot and kept him up. I almost smile at the ridiculous thought.