17 - Proposals and Paints

Kaiden

Next day dawns nice and sunny. Pulling up at Nathan's house, I see my friend's vehicles already parked outside. I ring the bell. There's laughter coming from inside and it warms my heart. They're having fun.

"Just a sec!" Nathan's voice calls.

He opens the door and smiles. It takes everything in me to not hug him right then. He looks handsome, in a baby pink tee and black sweats, hair fresh and wet from a shower.

"Um, hi!"

"Hey! You look great!" I mutter, scratching the back of my neck.

"Thanks!" he laughs. "You too, I love your jacket!"

"Kaiden! Come on in!" Ryan calls.

Daniel isn't here but Raven, Bella, Aaron and Alex are, along with Max. I am a little surprised to see him there but then, he's the captain of the team and Nathan can invite whoever he wants.

Zeus jumps on me immediately, abandoning Bella who pouts. I pet him gently and he runs off to bring his toy.

"I thought it was the pizza!" Max grins at me.

"We just ordered one before we began with the painting. We set up everything so that we could begin immediately. Did you start the photoshop?" Nathan asks.

I shake my head. I want it to be perfect, for him.

After his random but heartfelt confession yesterday, my crush on him has intensified abysmally to the point that I haven't stopped thinking about him the entire night.

"Working on it. It'll be done soon enough!"

He goes to the kitchen and I follow, with Zeus following me. Nathan tells me to grab beers from the fridge and he gets a pack of chips.

Zeus solemnly carries his bone with us, looking proud of himself. 🥺

"Thanks man, you're the best!" Max smiles when I hand him the beer.

"Where are your parents?" Bella asks.

"They're out for the weekend," Nathan says, sipping on his drink.

His jaw ticks. It's like his body is rejecting the lie but his face gives nothing away. He's so used to the little white lies. He probably does it so his mum won't go apeshit on him. He never mentions his dad. I want to know what he does and what their relationship is.

He sits on the loveseat, behind me. I rest against his legs. As if on cue, he runs his fingers through my hair.

Oh fuck.

I shut my eyes, enjoying the sensation, sipping my beer occasionally. If anyone thinks it's odd, they don't mention it. I look up at him, eyes half closed but he is busy listening to Raven tell some story about a cute old lady at her bakery.

I really really want to kiss him.

I don't care he might be straight but his fucking beautiful face is making me want to straddle him on the sofa and make out with him. Just like I wanted to yesterday.