27 - It's A Date

Kaiden

Nathan walks to me, much to my surprise. I pretend to be absorbed in the notice board.

"Finished detention?"

I nod and he walks with me outside. What is he doing? I raise a brow when he follows me all the way to my car.

"We have to finish the Bio paper thing. We can work at the Starbucks, treat's on me. I'll work with you between my orders," He says evenly.

Oh. Right, studies.

That's all he wants to say?!

Fucking HELL, I want to scream. How can he be so unaffected, so neutral? He's not aware of the hold he has on me? At this point, I feel like I'm carrying a neon marquee on my head that spells out "Simp for Nathan."

Come on Kaiden, you're better than this.

I can be professional. I can keep my feelings in check. Inhaling deeply, I nod.

"Venti Java chip with caramel drizzle," I say instead, unlocking my car.

It's not like I can say no, our grades are depending on this assignment. I play Linkin Park and ignore him the rest of the ride. The cafe is empty today, that means he can work with me for longer periods.

He puts on the signature green apron and takes my order. I open my ipad and set to work, after sending my Mum a text. She's not home but she likes to know where I am anyway.

Nathan joins me with a black coffee and my frappe. We work in silence, only talking about the paper. He was very clear that he wants me to stay away and I will do just that.

A few customers walk in, getting my attention. Much to my surprise, one of them is Sam.

"Hey, Sam!" I wave.

Nathan looks over, gets up and leaves immediately, going to the counter to tend to the other customers.

Sam saunters lazily to me.

"Hello Kai, how are - oh my fuck, what happened to your face?!" he gasps.

He looks posh, in a black turtle neck and a long grey coat. His dressing sense is impressive and it's lucky he has a face to match.

"Got beaten up."

"By whom? You look terrible, like something my dog threw up!" He chuckles.

"Hahaha, humour based on my pain." I roll my eyes. "The other guy is worse off though."

"Attaboy!" He ruffles my hair playfully and I swat his hands away.

"Not the hair! So, were you at a photoshoot or something?"

He slides into the chair, looking straight out of a men's fashion catalogue.

"Well, not really. Why? Do I look that good?"

He places his hand on mine. It's worth the sting from my broken knuckles.

"Good? You look like a prince!" I smile. He really does. He blushes and looks away.

"What's this you're doing?" He sifts through the papers.

"Homework. Biology."

"Ah great! I took it in freshman and sophomore year. I'm leaning towards engineering recently."

"Ew, why? All those calculations would end my sanity!"

"Then it's fortunate that you aren't studying it, huh?" he winks. "You come here often?"