45 - Still With You

Kaiden

I drive up the landscaped path and my eyes widen at the sight of the house. This is definitely not his mother's house. It's beautiful, cosy yet lavish.

"My dad's new place. I'm going to be living here for now," Nathan says softly.

I haven't let go of his hand since we left my house. I park in the porch and he gets out.

"Dad's out for tonight. I'm guessing he's still with Vanessa's mom," he sighs, unlocking the large wooden door.

The house is beautiful on the inside too, tastefully decorated. His hand slips into mine again and our gazes meet, electrifying the air around us. He guides me towards the curved staircase and we walk upstairs.

My stomach is doing flips and I am sure I'm going to pass out from nerves. Shit, that would be so embarrassing. What if I suck at it?

My senses are in overdrive.

He opens the door to a room and tugs me in. A giant French window is on one side overlooking the pine trees in the backyard. It's sparse and impersonal, a king size bed sitting proudly in the middle.

Nathan pins me against the door, locking it. My breath hitches.

Our gazes meet and before I know it, he's claimed my lips in his and is kissing me like his life depends on it. I sigh in bliss, my hands around his neck.

He suddenly pulls away and I blink in confusion.

"Are you.... Is this.. okay?"

His voice fills with insecurity. He steps back and sits on the bed, letting out a deep sigh.

"I can't stop thinking about what your dad said. He's right you know? I'm... Us together, we're always going to be a target. It's going to be harder for us than just... you being with a girl."

The words make my heart break. I walk to him and stand between his legs, running my fingers through his soft hair.

"And... you're bi. It's easier for you to get your life back to normal. You wouldn't be beaten up, you would be able to gossip with your friends and nobody would hate you. You can find a girl you like more than me, in Europe. You don't have to alter your life goals for me."

He looks so vulnerable, I wrap my arms around him and he sighs again, his face pressed against my tummy.

"Nathan, that's enough. Even if I'm bisexual, I want you. And we can figure things out. I know I might sound impulsive right now but there is no way to know what the future holds okay? And I have the chance to follow my heart. Not many people get or can afford this kind of freedom."

His warm eyes meet mine and I cup his face in my hands, kissing the faded scar on his jaw.

"I am choosing you, my happiness. You're not someone I'm stuck with. And maybe some years down the line, we will realise we were foolish or not made for each other. But I know our friendship will withstand that too."

"You really have that much faith in me?"

I nod without hesitation.

"You know, love is a choice too. My Mum says that. When the fire and passion eventually loses the youthful glow, the innate choice to cherish and protect a person, is love. To continue loving someone no matter how hard things get."

"Quite a big commitment, isn't it? How do you know we're ready for that?" He asks, clasping my hands tight, like he's afraid I'm gonna disappear if he lets go.

"I don't. But I look forward to it," I smile, pecking his nose.

"I was so scared.... earlier. But I am so so thankful you stood up for me. I don't deserve you."