41 - Ambush

Kaiden

Up close, Dr. Dylan Summers is almost like McDreamy from Grey's.

"You didn't tell me you knew Madison's kid, Nathan?"

"When was I gonna tell you? When you were in New York or vacationing in the Maldives or when you were buried deep in that vile woman?" Nathan asks icily but with a smile still in place. I almost choke on a piece of the chicken starter.

Dr. Dylan sighs, turning to me and ignores Nathan.

"Kaiden is it? My son is quite smitten by you, it seems. Are you anything like Charles' kid?"

Nathan goes red and I want to fucking disappear.

"I'm sorry?" I ask, smiling politely because I can feel my mum's gaze burning holes in me.

"Come on, you think I don't know? You two are so obvious even the ISS can see it. My son has a knack for attracting the closest connected people to me. It should be considered a talent, how much he loves to put me in uncomfortable situations."

He looks so done.

Nathan and I are not as subtle as we thought then. His father noticed in literally half an hour of seeing us together. I wonder if everyone else is dense or he's just really smart.

"Anyway, you won't get him kicked out again yeah? I really can't afford to put him in another school."

"But you can afford to keep that skank and her daughter?" Nathan asks easily.

"Honestly Nathan, if you could understand that she's not a skank and give her a chance, maybe we'd all be happier," Dr. Dylan whispers tiredly.

"Honestly Dad, if you could understand how much of a gold digger she is, maybe you'd be happier too," Nathan mocks, shrugging. "Ask Kai. Tell him how annoying and cunning Vanessa is!"

I blink. I didn't expect to be dragged into their private drama like this.

"That's enough Nathan. Just because I pay for your education doesn't mean you get to say whatever you want!"

"You kinda owe that to me for leaving me with Mum, so you don't get to complain."

Dr. Dylan's blue gaze turns stony. Nathan is pushing all his buttons and I'm a tad bit scared. I'd never in a million years think about speaking like that to my Dad.

"You deserve a trophy for putting up with this kid. He never listens to me about anything!" He turns to me.

Nathan huffs and walks away to the buffet, leaving me alone with his dad. How dare he, I want to chuck the glass at his stupid head!

"With all due respect Dr. Summers, Nathan's actually quite easy to put up with, I've found," I mutter in saccharine tones, fidgeting with my shirt cuffs. I can't quite decide if I like him or loathe him.

"He only agreed to come because you'd be here you know? He values you and Madison more than he ever did his own family. I saw how he was smiling with you. I haven't seen him smile like that since the divorce."

I look up at him. He meets my eyes and raises a brow, sipping on the champagne. There's a gentle smile on his visage.

"I'm guessing you know everything," He states. It's not even a question. I nod.

"I am thankful to you for being there for him. Even though he doesn't open up to me, I know my son well. Maybe not everything but I know his nature. After what happened with Charles and his kid, I wanted to take him with me. He wanted that too."