39 - Stars & Strawberries

Kaiden

"Nathan?"

My heart speeds up automatically, glad I answered the door instead of my parents or the maids. He's dressed in a fitting leather jacket and boots, looking sinfully hot.

"It's 10 pm on a Wednesday, what are you doing here?" I ask, nervously.

"How would you like to go on a drive with me?"

"What? My parents are home!" I laugh, trying to wrap my head around the fact that he is here, wanting to whisk me away right from under my Dad's nose.

"Could you just say it's a group project? We can go back to my place after!" He smiles, winking mischievously. "Mum's visiting her sister."

I bite my lip, tempted. We haven't really spent time together past week, ever since we told Raven. He's been busy with work and studies and I've been busy with a small project and writing my SOPs. I have missed him.

"Come inside at least, it's cold out here!" I mutter, tugging him in by his hand.

The simple touch ignites my skin. I can't help but smile like a little kid.

"Oh hello Nathan," Mum greets him, surprised. She smiles gently, clutching her cup of tea. "Late night visits are your thing or something?"

Uh...what?!

Did she.... Does she KNOW he was here few nights ago?!

Nathan looks at me pointedly, saying a soft hello to her. I pretend to be neutral. If she doesn't know, my face might just give everything away.

"I get off work around this time, the only time I'm free to do things."

"And what do you want to do now?" Mum asks. It's like she's teasing but I can't even tell if she isn't.

"I remembered we have to do a group project in Biology. So I thought I could take Kai to my place since I'm alone. We would be out of your way and uh, still be loud as we like. I mean, with your permission of course."

He's so polite to her, so formal always. It's hilarious to watch, especially since I call her everything from Mum to Mamochka.

"Oh you're alone? Why don't you stay over then?"

Nathan's eyes widen. I bet he hadn't expected that. I bite my lip to hide a smile.

"I uh, thank you, but I don't have any of my things or my books. We will go to school directly tomorrow morning."

"Oh okay then, sure you can take him along."

I do an internal victory dance. Finally I get some time alone with him!

"But next time if you're home alone, inform Kai so that we can invite you for dinner. You can stay here anytime you want."

My heart swells in my chest. Nathan's expression is soft and he nods, looking at his feet.

"Thanks Mum, I'll go grab my stuff now!" I grin, hoping I don't look too happy. I run to the stairs, skipping up two a time.

I hastily grab my school stuff and pack my ironed uniform in a bag. I change into warm clothes and put on a beanie and gloves for good measure. I look okay.

It's not a date right? Just us, hanging out. I fluff my hair a bit and roll my eyes in the mirror. I am such a simp.

I reach downstairs to find my Dad talking to Nathan, who's slightly rocking on his feet.

"Ready, Nathan?" I smile. He nods, shooting me a grateful look and pulling on his jacket.

"You better not skip school tomorrow," Dad warns. I nod, grinning despite his stern demeanor. He gives me a small smile.