42 - I Love You

Nathan

The emergency doctors ask me to fill out a form. They even ask if I want to report the incident to the police. I don't even remember the guys faces so I doubt it would be much help.

I just want to see my Kai-Pie. They took him to do an Xray. His nose is probably broken. We're both still minors so they had me call my parents. I dialed Kai's mom instead of my father.

I fidget with the torn sleeve of my blazer, looking at the giant clock. The medicinal smell is suffocating. A sudden gust of wind makes me shiver as the door to the EMT opens.

Kai's parents rush in, spotting me almost immediately. To my utter surprise, my dad is in tow.

"Nathan! What happened!" Madison asks worriedly, wrapping me in a hug. My throat clogs up.

"We got jumped by some guys," I whisper, trying not to cry.

It's all my fault. I shouldn't have kissed him like that on the street.

"What? Did you provoke them or what?" Kai's father asks sternly. Madison glares at her husband.

I shake my head, rubbing my eyes.

"Why did you even leave the party?" Dad asks, pinching the bridge of his nose.

They hadn't even noticed we weren't there.

"We... got bored," I admit quietly.

I expect a ton of yelling but instead Kai's mom just hugs me closer. She talks to the paramedics and as both her and my dad are renowned doctors, they are allowed in. I am left alone on the bench with Kai's father.

Just my luck.

"I can't even decide if you're the bad influence or if it's Kaiden's own brain, so I won't say anything to you," Mr. Pierce says, probably reading my tense expression. I just nod, not wanting to get into an argument.

Soon, his mum comes out. We're all dressed way too fancy for this dingy outskirts hospital.

"Bruised ribs and a concussion, split lip and a minor laceration in his nose. That's gonna take a while to heal. Nathan, tell me exactly what happened? Do you remember anything of those guys? We need to lodge a complaint."

Dad looks sternly at me, urging me to tell the truth. Madison looks tired and worried. My stomach churns.

"They came out of nowhere. I remember one had a sleeve tattoo. There weren't any cars around. They seemed like college kids and were drunk. One of them tripped Kaiden and he fell on his back. When he was getting up, one of the guys kicked his stomach. I punched him and then everything escalated," I mutter, body itching to get to my Kaiden.

"I don't know anything else. I think they were just looking for a target. They didn't follow us or anything and I probably think filing a complaint would maim their academic record."

"I don't give a shit, they should be behind bars, hitting innocent kids!" Mr. Pierce fumes.

Kai's mum gives me a look. I know she knows I'm not telling the whole truth but she lets it slide. They go back in and bring Kai outside. He winces with every step and I resist the urge to run into his arms.

His hair is disheveled and his face looks awful, the blood cleaned. It's already beginning to turn purple around the nose and jaw.

I walk to him and his Mum leaves us alone for a bit.