21 - Game On

Kaiden

"Kaiden honey, are you okay?" Mum asks at lunch. "You haven't touched your food."

I made sure everyone left my house before my parents arrived.

"I'm fine Mum, just tired. How was your trip? How's aunt Carol and Nellie?"

"They're both fine. Nellie might visit us sometime soon, you should talk to her about what I said," Dad says. I sigh, nodding.

"I hope you're studying for your exams. They're in two weeks, right?" Mum asks.

I nod, lying straight up. So much has happened in this month that I have been slacking on studies a lot.

"I'm doing okay. Got a B on two pop quizzes but I'll do better in the exams I promise. It's the Homecoming game tonight."

"Oh right, right. Well, me and Dad have plans. You remember Austin? His parents invited us to spend the weekend at their cabin for a skiing vacay. So we're leaving tonight, our flight's at 11."

"You guys literally just arrived home!" I laugh. "Honestly you have a better social life than I do."

Mum laughs.

"When Kane comes let's go for a family vacation. Just us four okay?" Dad says, perking up.

"Sure. I'll keep my schedule free," I grin.

They talk about taxes and I realise how fucking privileged I am to have a stable family.

My mind goes back to Nathan and a tight knot appears in my gut. Why the fuck did he kiss me? I would rather not even know what he's thinking. I want the memory to be untarnished by anything.

******

I spent the day studying and working on a new project, just so I could distract myself from the recurring thoughts of the kiss.

There's only half hour to the game and I do not want to face Nathan yet. I loved every second of the kiss. I don't want to hear him saying it was a mistake.

I know he will apologise.

I don't know if I'll be able to do that, now that I know what his kiss feels like. Chernobyl in my head.

The message tone distracts me from my train of thought. My phone is blowing up with messages. I have twenty something calls from Raven and the others.

Nothing from Nathan.

He's probably getting ready for his first game with Credence.

Are we still supposed to be at yours after Calum's party? - Ryan

Fuck, I had totally forgotten about that.

Yeah yeah, still on for tonight. I'll reach school in fifteen minutes. - K

Cool, come soon! Raven saved a seat for you - R

Later. - K

Sighing, I head out.

It's gonna be a long ass night.

I find Raven and the others immediately when I arrive. The excitement in the air is palpitable, I don't know why I've never been to a school game before!

The Hawks team is already here and the bleachers are almost full, cheering for their respective schools. It's a wonderful feeling and my tension slips away.

I find Nathan on the field, his number 10 jersey standing out. He has a small smile playing on his lips. I want to talk to him so bad but I don't know what to say!