48 - Graduation

Five months later

Kaiden

I adjust the tassel on my cap, the sun beating down on us, the fragrance of spring blossoms in the air. It's a perfect day and the class of 2019 looks youthful and energetic.

Finally here, finally graduating.

It's been a journey! Exams are done, colleges have sent acceptance letters while some are faced with rejections. It's just us and one hour's worth of speeches between the much awaited diploma which would officially stamp us with the seal of having survived highschool.

Nathan is sitting on my right in the bleachers and everyone else to my left in the same row. I look at them, chatting among themselves. The parents are sitting on the chairs placed on the field, facing the podium where our faculties are giving speeches.

Raven turns to me. She asked me to do her makeup today and she looks pretty, if I say so myself.

"It feels surreal hm?" she voices my thoughts. "Can't believe we've been here four years."

"And we're now officially done with high school!" Alex smiles, looking over at us.

It's been a crazy four years, with so much drama, so many ups and downs and yet these people have always managed to uplift me, stay with me and help me through every stage of my life.

The warmth in my chest is constant as I listen to the heartfelt speeches by my teachers who are probably glad to be rid of another rowdy batch deep down.

Soon, Bella, our unopposed valedictorian, is up on the dias and our group cheers out loud, waving at her and sending her thumbs up. Max and Raven yell the loudest, making the teachers shush us.

Bella is almost glowing in the sunlight as she beams at us, her lips painted red and a nose pin glinting, blonde hair falling down her chest in perfect waves.

She adjusts the mic and sends us her dazzling pearly smile. The red graduation gown suits her really well.

"Good morning, to everyone present here. Our respected principal, our faculties, the non teaching staff and the proud parents."

Raven claps softly beside me.

"When Mr. Ben, our vice-principal, asked me to see him in his office, I thought that he had caught me sneaking into his office to alter some of the student council activities."

A collective gasp goes through the people and Bella laughs. She isn't as innocent as she looks. 

"As I entered Mr. Ben's office, I was prepared to hear the words that would sentence me to an after school detention in the minus 19 degree freezer that he calls his office. However, rather than asking me to do time in the cooler, he invited me to address you as the Credence High valedictorian."

Raven hoots in appreciation.

"At first, I felt absolutely honored and happy - a remarkable thing since my heart had stopped beating. However, at the next moment, I was worried about giving a speech. My OCD self looked at touching, boring, sad, and motivating graduating speeches, and even saw rap song graduation speeches. But in the end, I've decided to be a good student and not plagiarize. So here is my graduation speech, and this one is from me to you-with gratitude for the honor and pride for being one of your classmates."