Chapter 4 - Say yes

When we entered the coffee shop, he opened the door for me to go through.

"Ladies first", he mumbled.

"Thank you", I replied shyly. 

We ended up sitting in a small corner next to a window. Wooden tables with chairs close to each other, paired with some plants and lots of lightbulbs created a cozy and inviting atmosphere.  There weren't many people anymore as we came, so it felt much more private.

"It's lovely", I stated while looking around and taking it all in. Laying my eyes on every little detail that I could find. Everything but him. Even though he was the most interesting of them all. It felt like searching for your glasses, which were hanging on your sweater the entire time. Missing the evidence that was right in front of your face. The only difference was that I did it on purpose. I avoided looking at him, afraid to see the truth more clearly, afraid to find the evidence that I was searching for all this time. 

"I'm glad you like it. I often come here by myself when I'm not in the library and do some work or write. It has something special", he said while looking at me.

This statement however, made me curious. After all, I wanted to get to know him better. 

"You write?! That's awesome, I bet your work is great".

"Why would you say so Miss White?", he asked surprised about my bold statement.

I answered without a second thought: "Because of the way you talk and behave. I assume that you're a very thoughtful person who does not like to simply stay on the surface...", I stopped when I felt his intense stare on me.
"..Eh.. at least.. I-I imagine that..sorry if I've crossed a line, sir", I uttered, looking at the table.

After a small silence he shook his head slightly and chuckled: "No you haven't. I was the one asking and I guess you're right with what you say, Miss White".

He couldn't say more because in this moment our waitress returned with our coffees. She smiled at Professor Cullen and slowly put a tiny paper, which propably contained her number, next to his coffee, before going away to another customer.
He opened it, looked at it briefly, than threw it in the corner of the table facing me again.

He must have experienced something like this quite often, women showing their interest in him. 

"You must have left quite  an impression on her. Won't you call her? I mean she's pretty", I said to him. "..And she's probably no student of yours", I added in my mind.

However, his next words surprise me and leave me wondering what he meant by that. Was he in a relationship or was he not? I longed to know but didn't have the courage to ask. 

"I'm not interested, Miss White", he stated harshly. "Now back to you. I've already had the time to read your essay about Frost and what can I say, it's excellent", he said, looking into my eyes like he tried to figure me out. 

"Oh, eh well, thank you...", I replied quietly, trying not to blush at the compliment.

"No, I really like the way you seem to look at things. Would you be interested in helping me with some tasks regarding poetry? We would have to meet outside of class and discuss some student's work and how we could evoke their interest in poetry. I was given the task a couple of weeks ago and didn't had much hope to achieve anything. But with you, your work would be a real blessing. Please say yes Miss White"

He looked at me, almost pleading. Ahh, I really couldn't say no to those eyes...

"Okay, I'll do it", I replied.

"Wonderful, thank you so much", he sighed relieved and took my hand that was laying on the table to place a short but soft kiss on it.

It was an innocent touch, he probably didn't put any thought into it. Nevertheless, it left me with the need for more. 

I shivered at the feeling of his lips on my hand, not knowing what to say or do. So I finished my coffee and looked out of the window. It was already six in the evening.

"Should we leave now?", I asked him softly.

He looked at his watch and sighed as if he didn't want to let me go already. I felt the same. 

"Yes, I guess it's time."

As we left he, again, opened the door and showed with a small gesture that I should go first. 

"It was nice, it's a cute cafe", I mumbled, not really knowing what to say.

"It was my pleasure, Miss White. I hope I could help with your coffee issue... And thank you again for your willingness to help. I'm looking forward to working with you", he smiled and I couldn't get over the fact how beautiful he looked just in that moment.

I wanted that he embraces me, or even better, that he would kiss me again, wherever he would want to. But of course that wasn't meant to happen. I should have quickly stopped this stupid fantasy when I would have to work with him seriously. Still, I felt like a teenager that just had the first date with her crush and was now unsure if he would kiss her or not. However, I did not expect Professor Cullen to think about kissing me. Not in a hundred years did I think that this could be on his mind as he looked at me. 

"No problem. Good evening, Professor."

"Have a nice evening Miss White, I'll see you in the next lecture."

And without thinking I just said what was on my mind:"I'm looking forward to it."

I saw that his eyes light up, then I turned around and started walking home, his eyes intensely following me. When I reached the first corner I slightly looked back only to see him still looking at me lost in his thoughts. In this moment, I've felt the weakest since I can remember. If he would have sent a wave to get me, I would have willingly obeyed. I would have walked into his ocean, letting the waves have me. Letting him have me. No matter, how wrong it would have been. And that's what worried me the most. That I could not resist. I just prayed that he wouldn't make a move. Any move. 
Oh god, where would this lead me to?

----------------------------------------

Chapter 4!! I hope you like it? Any feedback would be great, as usual ;)
Have a nice day,

- Ann