Chapter 36 - Great opportunities

I would have never thought that having a secret relationship would be that hard.

But when you always have to meet in private, and when in public, you have to pay extra attention to act professional...Gosh, it was freaking hard!

In my mind I was practically counting the weeks that remained until the end of my last semester. I counted every single day that stood between me as a student and the opportunity of not having to hide my feelings for my professor. And I knew that he did too.

There was no thrill about doing something forbidden and about the risk of being caught. If there ever was one, it was long gone. I mean, it would have propably cost us our careers!

In all honesty, this play of hide-and-seek was tiring, especially if it was for the long-term. I wanted to show the entire world how lucky I was and not sneak into his office or stay behind in the lecture room while, at the same time, trying to keep everything discreet.

Nobody was allowed to become suspicious. We couldn't afford mistakes.

That was also the reason why we had to become creative.
Lately for example, we had come up with the idea of talking over the phone before his lectures. This way we would have at least the possibility to talk without calling anybody's attention.

As if I had just gave him his cue, my phone started ringing.

I had already taken my seat in the room, waiting impatiently. Leaning back in my chair, I smiled and picked up:

"Finally! I was just thinking about you.."

His low chuckle was still giving me goose bumps. You must have though that, at some point, I got used to him and the reaction he had on me...but no. If anything, it became worse.

"I'm sorry, love. I was quite busy going through all the essays for the lecture. It took forever...", he complained with a sigh and I imagined him moving his hand through his hair. He always did that if he was flustered or exhausted.

"Don't worry, how did you like mine? I spent quite some time on it", I asked genuinely curious.

He responsed immediately:"It was incredible. I really should reward you for your hard work.."

I giggled and bit my lip as some naughty thoughts entered my head and I wondered if he thought into the same direction.
However, his mind seemed to still be in working mode when he interjected:

"No, honestly. I'm always glad when I can read some pieces from you. There's so much crap, that I have to work through. Therefore it's always a pleasure to have your work as my ray of hope. So, thank you."

"Thank me later, love", the words slipped out of my mouth before I could even think about whether or not I should say them.

For a moment, there was a small silence at his end and when he cleared his throat, I suspected that he was in the hallways surrounded by other people.

"Sorry?", I half laughed and blushed.

From the corner of my eye, I caught his figure appearing at the door of the lecture room.

"You're going to be the death of me", he mumbled quickly before he hung up and entered the room.

He looked straight up to me and I could see the desire in his eyes, before he broke the eye contact and concealed it from the rest of the class.

Oops...

---------------------------------

We were half an hour into the lecture, when the sound of a knock on the door interrupted us. After a second, the face of our director Mr Collins appeared, scanning the room before his eyes stopped at my face.