Chapter One

The red against white was a stark contrast. Splashing against the styrofoam. For a moment, the sight of the cherry slush filling her cup gave Ruby the morbid thought of blood. Though on a night like tonight, she liked that comparison.

Her mind sludged through the liquor she'd drunk as she turned off the churning machine and turned, scanning the convenience store with wavering vision. Talon leaned up against the counter, talking up the unfortunate cashier while slipping Choco bars into his striped pants. The poor girl didn't notice a thing aside from his big brown eyes.

He wore a ridiculous purple Joker suit with yellow pinstripes and green buttons. The jacket was open to reveal the yellow waistcoat and green tie that had 'ha ha ha' scrawled all over it. There was a cane and hat that he'd worn with it, but they seemed to have disappeared as his mused dark brown hair lay exposed. And he'd skipped on the makeup Ruby had offered to do for him entirely. The suit, although ridiculous, accentuated his tall, lean figure nicely.

And due to some amazing mixture of it all, the cashier was completely into him. Her ponytail bounced with each laugh, her tawny skin blushing under his heavy and alluring gaze.

With a sigh, Ruby placed her cup on the counter and shot Talon a pointed look as she handed the girl a five. Talon ignored her and went on to say something that made the cashier giggle and scatter Ruby's change all over the counter. She was quick to apologize and continue her conversation.

"Talon," Ruby said as she gathered up the fallen change, "they're here."

He slid her a knowing look before giving the girl a big, charming smile, "I have to go. Have a good Halloween, Jessica."

"Maybe I'll see you?" Jessica asked, not nearly as casual as she'd probably intended.

Talon's grin grew. He winked, "Maybe."

"Okay," Ruby said rolling her eyes. She grabbed his arm and dragged him away from the counter.

"What?" He asked innocently.

She arched a brow at him, though from the never wavering smile on his face she could tell it wasn't near as stern as she'd hoped, "I literally can't take you anywhere."

They pushed out the doors, the bells jingling as they went through and Ruby received a rude reminder of the cool autumn breeze as gooseflesh rose on her legs. She'd worn a black baby doll dress with red ruffles, a black witch hat, and combat boots for the pre-Halloween party at Josh's, one of Talon's friends who was even more infuriating. Though now she had absolutely no idea where her hat went and didn't care as she sipped from her cup. Lexi had helped her spray the ends of her black hair red. Mainly for the purpose of her hair not blending into her outfit.

"I just wanted to wish a fellow, beautiful girl, a happy holiday."

Ruby snorted and grinned despite herself, "Halloween isn't a holiday."

"It isn't? Besides," he added, leaning forward with a wickedly charming grin, "Life is too short to wait, Ruby."

She rolled her eyes. He always got a kick out of using that phrase, even though they both knew he never truly had to wait for any girl to come crawling to him. Stumbling slightly, "Whatever. Do you see them?"

"More like I hear them," he said chuckling.

Confused, Ruby looked at his amused expression and followed his gaze to a dark red convertible rumbling with music and laughter parked across the lot. She was shocked that she hadn't noticed it. Maybe she'd had more to drink than she'd thought.

Just then a slim girl with dark brown skin dressed as a green and yellow pixie jumped up and, waving her arm wildly, cried, "Ruby!"

Ruby laughed and ran forward as childish giggles slipped from her, "You losers stole my hat!" She yelled.