Chapter Forty One

Halle and Sonya's eyes whipped towards her and Ruby felt her cheeks heat. "He did?"

"Yes. Well, technically he ordered me to design one for you and I sent in the order and so on."

"You designed it?" Sonya asked dryly.

Emelia sent her a sharp glare. "Yes, I had to. Now, I have to go and get myself ready."

"But-" She cut Ruby off with a dismissive flutter of her hand as she strode towards the door and left.

Ruby stared at the black bag. She'd seen Orpheus just last night, and he hadn't mentioned this. He had to have ordered the dress days before, and yet he'd only just asked her to be his date. Part of her felt struck by the presumption, but another part was curious to see it and possibly put it on.

"Why did he make you a dress?" Halle asked, eyeing the heels.

She paused, fiddling with her nail and avoiding their gazes. "It might be because he asked me to be his date tonight."

"What?" They screeched in unison.

Ruby sighed. Fingering the zipper of the bag she said, "I was nervous to say anything because of how you guys reacted with the dance."

Sonya stood abruptly, "Of course we're going to react that way! He's never done this and when I say never, I mean never."

Halle nodded, "He's not the type to make friends. The fact that he'd made you one and even likes you is-"

"Shocking," Sonya cut in. Halle sent her an annoyed glare.

Ruby scoffed, "Thanks."

"Not because of you but because of him. It's just very unusal and kind of weird to see."

She gnawed on her cheek, "I know. I'm shocked myself." They fell quiet, all of them watching as Ruby played with the zipper, never quite opening or shutting it.

Halle sighed with dramatized exasperation, "If you won't open it I will."

Ruby shook her head, grinning, and pulled down the zipper completely. Halle sucked in a sharp breath, "Wow."

"I think we found your dress," Sonya muttered.

The dress was in every sense of the word, beautiful. It was a midnight blue, with an empire, ruffled waist and long, flowing layers of skirt. The top layer of the dress was sheer with specks of gold and silver glitter, and tiny stars and constellations. A slit ran up one leg.

Sonya curled her hair then wrapped it back into a loose bun with onyx strands framing her face. She put only a small amount of mascara, dabbed some gold eyeshadow on her lids, and a natural red gloss. As well, Sonya dusted highlight on her bare collarbones and shoulders. After slipping on the matching heels, Ruby was ready.

"You guys both look stunning," she said, smile bursting wide with excitement.

It was true. Halle wore a short black dress with an a-line skirt. The top half of her blonde hair was pulled back by a sparkling, silver barrette with curls draping her shoulders. Sonya's outfit was a sleek, silver tux with just one side of her natural curls clipped back to display her sharp jawline.

Halle smiled, "So do you." Ruby smiled back, feeling at peace for a moment.

"Well?" Sonya said, "Should we go?"

"Yes! I'm so excited," Halle cheered.

The party took place in the Combat field. All of the equipment had been moved to make room for speakers and refreshment tables. Tiki torches surrounded the area and almost all of the vampires were already outside, dressed in their best. Ruby didn't see Orpheus so she followed Halle to meet her date. Soon, they all ended up in one big group with Jeremy and his date Viviene, and Sonya with her friends.