Chapter Fifty Four

Orpheus only found one more survivor who was responsible in getting them out of there and back to the mansion. Once Orpheus knew she couldn't run, he'd stopped messing with that darkness inside of her. But, as if to keep her from trying anything stupid, he'd yank on it at random moments and, like a chain around her neck, it'd sending her gasping for air.

They rode in a sleek black car back to the mansion. She stayed in the back. Ruby didn't fight, didn't scream. Only did as she was told. For Talon, for Halle. It was impossible not to jerk from his or his Shadows' grasp whenever they grabbed her.

Orpheus didn't enter through any of the main doors of the mansion. No, he wouldn't want his precious admirers to see him holding her prisoner and working with the Shadows. So they entered through a back door, where he took her up to the main rooms.

He allowed her back into her old room, with the addition of two of his High Vampire guards watching her doors and windows at all times. Ruby didn't care. A numbness had set in.

She'd never see Talon or Halle again. Despite Halle's promise. Ruby would die for whatever twisted plan Orpheus created, and there was nothing she could do to stop it. She could use her power, but what good was it now that he expected it? When he could send her to her knees in pain?

She collapsed onto her old bed and tried to sleep. It felt wrong, seeing the room. The last time she'd been in it, she'd been excited to be Orpheus's date. Now she knew she'd only been his tool. To see the red wallpaper and silk sheets and full closet she'd once adored made her sick. She'd trade it all just to be wearing the same dirty dress with Talon and Halle.

Or even to be human again and not have this stupid power.

Hours passed. Eventually Ruby took a bath. Her entire body was so drenched in ash that she had to scrub her skin and hair multiple times to remove it. She dressed in a plain red dress and then resumed her spot on the bed. Waiting.

What was she waiting for? What would he do to her now that he had her? She thought of the Shadows with their long, pale and spindly fingers, their six fangs and black cloaks. A cold shudder raced through her.

At some point, Emelia strode in with a bottle of blood. This time, the vampire didn't glare and didn't judge. Instead, she avoided eyecontact, running out the moment the bottle left her fingertips. She knew.

Anger flared inside of Ruby, the most she'd felt since Orpheus had taken her from that destroyed building. How many others knew and weren't trying to stop it? Sonya? Erik?

She tried to take her time drinking the bottle but she was too hungry. It was better than the animal blood at least.

It wasn't until nightfall that Orpheus strode into her room unannounced. He wore a decievingly kind smile and said, "We're leaving."

"Where?" She asked.

He didn't answer and walked out. Ruby followed him through empty halls, and out the backdoor to the small drive. Only, the black car was gone and in its place was a cherry red convertible. She stopped cold in her tracks.

Was it a coincidence that he had the exact same car as the one she'd crashed in? Ruby couldn't comprehend what she was seeing. It had to be a coincidence. Why else would he have it?

"Are you coming?" He asked.

She'd stopped breathing. Attempting to hide how shaken she was, she asked, "Do I have a choice?"

"No."

Ruby nodded, it was all she could do. She got into the passenger seat and a shudder ran through her. Her hands were shaking. The interior was the exact same tan color. A wave of dizziness washed over her. She stared blanky out the window. Surprising her, Orpheus started the car and drove off without any of his minions.