Chapter Sixteen

Ruby recoiled hard enough to fall over her bench and into the vampires behind her, all of them landing with a clattering thud. All she saw was black. A writhing, living and breathing black. It was thick, hiding her own hand from sight. People were screaming and Halle was calling her name. But Ruby couldn't find her. She couldn't stop this, had no idea whether this was even her doing. How could it not be? She felt it as if it were a second skin. It seems the darkness had burst up out of the chasm deep inside of her and was now displayed for all to see.

A panic arose and suddenly the bodies around her were jostling, shoving hard in their plight to escape this eternal night. Ruby tried to scream, but she couldn't catch enough air.

Then there was a bright light. And another. And another, and another and- more small lights broke through the darkness until Ruby could see every face in the room. Everyone froze, and every face turned up to the lights.

This wasn't darkness. It was night, and those weren't lights, they were stars. Her stars.

A heavy silence descended over them all. There were just enough stars to cast everyone in a dim golden light. Halle's face was pale, her eyes wide and jumping from star to star. Slowly, her gaze fell to Ruby and despite it all, a true smile brighter than all the stars stretched on the girl's face. Emelia's own expression was one of stunned shock. She didn't even glare when she looked at Ruby, only shook her head as if she couldn't believe it.

"You-," she said, her voice shaking, "what are you?"

"The most powerful conjurer our kind has seen in centuries."

Ruby whirled. Orpheus was standing right beside her. When he turned towards her, there was a short lift to his lips and in his eyes - pride? Hope? Something else? Whatever it was, Ruby's head spun in shock and confusion from it.

He turned to Emelia who was still staring at Ruby with a slack jaw, "I will take her from here. Please continue."

At first, Emelia didn't respond and Ruby was sure the vampire would continue to stare at her. But finally, she snapped her mouth closed and removed the prong. Ruby gasped. All her power disappeared from the room as if it had been tore from her hands.

Orpheus's palm touched her back and Ruby was dragged back to her situation. She turned to Halle, "I want to stay with her."

His expression didn't waver, "We need to get your schedule and other arrangements set up."

"I'd rather wait for her."

"She will be safe. Time is forever of the essence. Follow me, Ruby."

She swallowed hard, hearing the edge of command in his tone. Ruby had only ever had Halle once they were turned. The idea of being apart for however long unsettled her. Still, there was no room for refusal with him. Throwing Halle an apologetic glance, Ruby followed him past all of the staring eyes and whispered words towards whatever fate now awaited her.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~~ ~ ~ ~~ ~ ~ ~~ ~ ~ ~~ ~ ~

Thank you for reading! Don't forget to give this chapter a VOTE to help my story!