Chapter Twenty Nine

There was a knock on Ruby's door and before she could say anything, Halle stuck her head in. "Ruby? Can I come in?"

Ruby nodded. Halle's shoulders heaved as if she'd been holding her breath. She moved to sit on Ruby's bed and was quiet for a few moments before taking a deep breath and saying, "I'm sorry about yesterday."

"Me too," Ruby sighed, sitting beside her. Something in her relaxed.

Halle grabbed her hand and offered a weak smile. "I've just felt so alone this past month."

"I know, so have I."

"Well," Halle said, huffing a laugh, "I promise to not abandon you."

Ruby grinned, "Me too."

Halle sniffed, "Good. Now, what are you wearing to the party?" Ruby groaned. "Oh, come on, Ruby! Please? Be my date?"

Ruby eyed her, gnawing on the inside of her cheek as she thought it over. A party. She used to love them. Although her definition of a party had involved booze rather than blood. Still, past her would have gone without hesitation.

Now, she was a vampire who couldn't summon anything. She'd spent the past month all alone, isolating herself in a time when she needed Halle most. And maybe. . .just maybe, this would be good for her. Being surrounded by others. Maybe she'd make friends.

Maybe she'd truly laugh and smile.

"Okay," Ruby said, "I'll go. But you have to help me get ready."

Halle popped off of the bed with an excited bounce, "Of course, of course! Come on let's get you out of those dirty clothes."

***

An hour later and they were walking into the designated ballroom, arm in arm. Ruby blew out a breath. The ballroom was just as beautiful as the rest, only bigger. The floors were a stunning oak wood althroughout except for the middle where, cut in a hexagonal shape, was smooth white marbel with intricate golden desgins. There were long tables full of food, none of it cooked all the way through as to allow the red juice to seep through. Then the dessert. Somehow, even with fangs and a blood appetite, Ruby's mouth still water at the sight of the chocolate cake.

Halle had dressed her in a red dress made of multiple layers of tulle. It had a short waistline, a curved neckline, and a long rippling skirt. Small sequins dotted the bodice. After curling Ruby's hair, pinning half of it up, and coating her lashes with mascara and her lips with gloss, Halle deemed her ready. The fake red dye Lexi had wove through Ruby's hair for Halloween had washed out long ago, leaving her hair a deep onyx. Just another reminder that those she loved were gone forever.

"Let's go dance," Halle said, already pulling Ruby towards the center of the room where vampires were arm in arm, swaying to the music.

She shook her head and pulled herself free, "I'm not really in the mood to dance."

Halle nodded, "Okay. Well lets go find our friends then!"

You mean your friends, Ruby thought but she didn't say anything. She allowed Halle to lead her through the room, applogizing everytime they bumped into someone which was often. They soon found Halle's group of friends along with Katrina and Jeremy standing in a corner of the room away from the floor.

"Hey," Kat cheered, throwing her arms around Ruby, "You got her to come!"

"Yes, and I almost had to drag her out to do so."

Ruby rolled her eyes, and hugged her back, "You look beautiful."

It was true. The vampire wore a dark blue dress that hugged her curves, with diamonds glittering at her ears and her curls wrapped into a sleek bun. Jeremy patted Ruby on the back, dressed in an all white suit and talked to her about their combat training. All the while, Halle stood talking with her friends.