Chapter Fifty Three

When Ruby woke, her head was throbbing. At first, all was dark. Then slowly, she could see the room she was in. It was a small, stone room. She lay with her back propped up against a wall. Talon, his wrists and ankles chained to the stone was watching her. So was Orpheus.

Orpheus didn't smile, but triumph glimmered in his hazel eyes, "Why did you run, Ruby?"

"I was kidnapped," she spat.

He moved closer and Ruby tried and failed to get further away from him as he leaned down to her eye level. "Then why, the moment you were free, did you not come back to me?"

She sneered. The anger and hurt and betrayal that she'd felt for days finally rose up in her, overriding her fear. Ruby shoved up to her feet, face to face with him, "You lied to me. Used me. What is your plan, Orpheus? Why are you working with the Shadows?"

He laughed. Backing away he shook his head, "Oh, Ruby," he shoved at Talon's chains with the toe of his shoe, "who's to say any of it was a lie? Did I change some details? Of course. But it wasn't for naught."

"Why are you working with the shadows," she ground out, "and who else is working with you?"

He turned then and all amusement disappeared from his face. His expression was stone cold, empty of all emotion. She jerked back at the sight. "You are no threat to me, Ruby. Do not speak as though you are."

"I could cut you in half."

He grinned a mirthless grin, "And then your friends would be dead."

"What do you mean?" She asked, her gut twisting.

He turned his head slightly and called out, "Come."

With that short, simple word, five Shadows entered the room. And thrashing between them all was Halle.

Ruby lurched forward only for a Shadow to grab her arm and yank her back, "Halle!" She cried. Whirling on Orpheus she yelled, "Let them go! Please!"

"I can't. They are only in our way."

"Our? I am not going to help you doom hundred of innocent souls!"

He tilted his head, his eyes fathomless, "We'll see." Shrugging, Orpheus said, "No one knows what I'm doing because they wouldn't understand. But you see, the Shadows know of a way to bring us more power. And what does more power mean? Less enemies."

"You mean the hunters."

"Yes."

Ruby gritted her teeth, "And you want me to help you kill them."

He grinned, "Yes."

She didn't want to ask the next question. It felt too pathetic. But she had to know. "Why did you use me?"

At first, he didn't answer her. Those hazel eyes searched her expression, a whirlwind of emotions flickering across his gaze that Ruby couldn't decipher. Then, seeming to settle on one with a wide smile he said, "I needed your trust. You weren't in my office five minutes before you dared to challenge me. If we went on like that you never would have cooperated."

Ruby didn't let how much his words stung show on her face, but from the glint in his gaze she knew he saw it. He'd always seen it. Motioning towards Talon and Halle, he said, "In order to get you to cooperate again, I need to rid you of distractions."

"What? No-"

"Don't bother fighting it, Ruby. We both know you won't win."

She released an exasperated breath, trying to tear free of the Shadow's grip. He didn't budge. Ruby watched as the Shadows grabbed Halle's arms and spread them wide, bringing a small blade to press against the flesh of her wrists. Another Shadow had a hold of Talon's face, his head bent beside his neck. "No," she breathed, "no, please! Please, stop!"