Chapter Forty Five

"Come on," he said, rushing towards her, "we need to get you somewhere safe."

He grabbed her arm and pulled her into a run, swiveling his head every which way, searching for a threat. Ruby said nothing. She couldn't speak, and her mind was a jumbled, foggy mess. All she knew was his hand on her arm.

He was real. Wholly alive. If she could feel him like this, he couldn't be an illusion. So what was he? Orpheus had said he'd died. That everyone had. And yet, here he was. Hope and confusion were at war with each other inside of her. She didn't know what to feel and only concentrated on moving her feet to his pace.

Talon led her past the mausoleum she had been heading for, weaving through countless others before he found one he liked. A small, half caved in one. They ducked inside, going as deep as they could before collapsing behind the only stone coffin.

They were quiet, listening for any signs of their pursers and trying to slow their breathing. After it was certain they weren't about to be found, Ruby turned to him and felt yet another wave of shock.

"Talon," she breathed, "how are you alive?"

He blinked at her, "I could ask you the same thing."

They watched each other for another long moment. Then they were lunging into each other's arms. Ruby's shoulders shook as she released deep, painful sobs. Every tear and gasp of air holding the pain, the truth that she'd had burried deep inside ever since the car wreck. In a way, finding out he was alive was more painful than knowing that he was dead. The best kind of agony that only brillant relief could bring.

He stroked her hair, "Ruby," he whispered, his voice hoarse, "Ruby." She clung tighter to him.

Ruby hadn't realized how much she'd missed him. She'd missed how he smelled of orange peels and wood. Two scents that never made sense in hindsight, but somehow worked perfect for him. The smell was her home. She'd missed his warm, strong arms around her and curving into his broad chest. She had missed hearing his deep and lulling voice.

Everything about him was hitting her hard. Things she'd always been aware of, and new things. Things her hungry senses devoured. The small beauty mark on his upper lip, the feeling of him breathing or the slight hitch in his breath as tears rolled down his cheeks into her hair. She'd thought that she was moving on from grieving but when Talon had been taken from her, so had a giant chunk of her. Big enough that now, she realized just how empty she had been.

Eventually, they pulled back only enough to get a good look at each other. He was different. His skin was marred with scars and his eyes, always so full of life were now haunted. She cupped his cheek, gently brushing one of the scars.

His hand lifted toward her face and then hesitated. Slowly, he reached forward and rubbed his thumb across the corner of her mouth. Ruby's heart jumped. The finger came back with crusts of dried blood.

Her stomach plummeted. She stilled had Brock's blood on her mouth. Ruby searched Talon's eyes for disgust, for fear as he stared at the thumb. But he only shook his head and said, "I'd thought you were dead or kidnapped. If I would've known what you were I wouldn't have. . ." he trailed off.

"What do you mean?" She asked softly. At that moment, she noticed what he was wearing. Dark, brown fighting leathers. Her brows pinched together, "You're one of them? A hunter?"

The corner of his mouth lifted slightly, "And you're a vampire."

She smiled too. His eyes caught on the smile, seeing her fangs. He didn't flinch or pull away. Instead, his eyes fell lower and took in her dress, "So, you haven't been tortured?"

"No," she breathed. Then, steeling herself, she asked, "What happened to you, Talon?"

His gaze went dark and his expressioned hardened, "I'd rather not talk about that."

"Okay," she said. Ruby pulled him back to her, "Okay."

They sat there, breathing each other in and wrapping their minds around the fact that they were both alive and finally back together. "I never want to be apart again," he said.

The agony in his voice sent shards into her heart. "Me neither."

After a few long moments, Ruby remembered where they were. She pulled back, "I need to find Halle."

"The girl who was with you?"

"Yes," she said, not quite sure how he knew that.

He nodded, "Okay, let's find her." Talon pulled her to her feet. She was about to leave the tomb when he whirled her back to him, "Ruby, you're hurt!" He grabbed her waist, peeling apart the torn fabric of her dress where she'd been shot.

Ruby looked too, "I was," she said, "but I'm healed. See?" She poked at the fresh flesh under the dried blood.

His brows drew together, "You can heal that fast?"

She smiled softly, "One of the perks of being a vampire." She wound her fingers through his and they slipped out of the building.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~~ ~ ~ ~~ ~ ~ ~~ ~ ~ ~~ ~ ~

Thank you for reading! Don't forget to give this chapter a VOTE to help my story!