Chapter Fifty One

Talon immediately moved between the girls and the hunters, his arms splayed while both girls readied their powers. Ruby felt her darkness stirring with the more weapons she saw. Wooden spears, stakes, blades, and swords. She even saw a gun, which she assumed was loaded with wooden bullets. It both angered and irked her that the hunters' whole lives were dedicated to killing her kind, when her kind only drank blood from bottles.

Or used their own kinds' blood for blood rituals. She gritted her teeth and decided she'd go for the leader first.

"Why do you protect them, hunter?" The man demanded. He was nearly red in the face as he stood protectively before his wife.

"They are my friends and they don't mean anyone harm."

"How can they not? They're vampires!" A few cheers of agreement went up through the crowd of hunters.

Talon shook his head. "They were turned only months ago. They have their humanity and it was their idea to bring a warning to you. To protect you."

The man's eyes narrowed, "Why would vampires wish to protect us?"

Talon shot Ruby a glance that said: I've done my part, now it's your turn. She sighed.

She wanted nothing more than to turn around and forget all about the warning. Still she stayed and said, "We discovered Orpheus's plans to attack all hunters and wanted to help."

"Why?" He urged.

"Because, we don't believe it's right for humans to be slaughtered. Even if they slaughter us," Halle said.

"We can handle Orpheus's attacks."

"Can you handle having your soul doomed to hell?" Halle challenged, arching a brow.

The man fell silent for a moment, seemingly trying to comprehend her words. Then it sunk in and a heavy silence descended over them all. His lips pressed thin. He knew now he had no choice. "How do you know of all of this? How can we trust you?"

"You can't when my weapons are out," Ruby said, failing to fight the small lift to the side of her lips. Her fingers twitched in anticipation.

"Meet us on common ground and we will discuss it civilly," Talon added. His face was hard but there was earnest desire for this to work reflected in his eyes.

Again silence descended as the hunters and their leader thought this over. Finally, he faced them and said, "Come back tomorrow morning."

"That may not be enough time," Ruby said. She knew it was a lie. There was no way for her to know when Orpheus might strike but she figured the sooner she warned them, the better.

"Fine. Come back tonight just after sunset. Only you three. We will meet without weapons."

Talon nodded, "Thank you."

"Now leave."

Ruby tried not to sneer at the way he spoke to them, Talon especially. She straightened, grabbing Halle's hand and started off into the trees with Talon behind her.

"Sarah!" A woman cried.

Ruby heard the soft pads of small feet running towards her and turned to find a small girl with large, wide blue eyes and a round face warm from the sun. She wore a plain brown dress with her hazelnut hair braided back. The girl knew what they were and yet she walked right up to Ruby with open eyes and an excited smile.

"Can I see your fangs?" She asked.

Ruby smiled. Bending down to the child's level but staying a safe distance away, she spread her lips and pointed to both of her fangs, "Yes. You can."

The girl giggled, "Do they hurt? Do you bite your tongue a lot? How sharp are they?"

"Sarah," a voice hissed and a moment later a woman was there gathering the girl up in her arms. The woman, presumably the mother, sent dark glares to Ruby and Halle, "Don't ever talk to her again."

"Not a problem," Ruby said, her face going cold. She stood slowly, watching as Sarah kicked and cried for her mother to let her go.

Talon's hand touched her back, jolting her, "Let's go."

She nodded and with one last glance behind her, Ruby let him lead her back to camp.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~~ ~ ~ ~~ ~ ~ ~~ ~ ~ ~~ ~ ~

Thank you for reading! Don't forget to give this chapter a VOTE to help my story!