Chapter Thirty Three

Orpheus's kiss was all-consuming. The moment his lips touched hers, she was lost in them. A small gasp escaped her. He grabbed her waist fiercely and pulled her tight to him, deepening the kiss. Heat shot through her core. Ruby rose on to her tiptoes, digging her fingers through his hair.

She'd never been kissed like this. A touch that both gave and stole her strength. It made her feel like she was losing air. The chasm's pull grew harder to resist. She didn't care. All she could focus on was his mouth on hers.

"Ruby," he sighed, trailing kisses down her throat. A pleasurable shudder raced through her. He kissed her jaw, the corner of her mouth, before claiming her lips once more. She kissed him hard.

Her darkness wasn't just rising to consume her, it was moving towards him. As if to meet his own.

She felt it then, his darkness. Of course, she thought. There had been something in him that drew her to him, and now she knew. It was because he had an evil in him he struggled against every day, too. That thought should have worried her, but it only did the opposite.

Ruby sighed into his kiss and clung tighter to him. She wasn't alone in the fight.

A knock came at the door and they froze. She grew very aware suddenly just how intertwined they'd become. He pulled back and for a moment they stood there, pressed flush to eachother and breathing hard.

The knock came again. Orpheus's eyes flashed with ire. He shook his head before tracing gentle circles on her cheek. "I'm sorry," he muttered.

For a dizzing moment she wasn't sure what he meant. Then she realized and stepped out of his grasp, "It's okay. Halle's probably waiting for me."

He nodded and the knock came a third time, this time softer. She watched his ruby red lips spread into a breath taking grin, "We'll have to continue this later."

She smiled too.

After adjusting themselves, he opened the door.

"Sire." It was Jeffery. His face was flushed and he was out of breath, "We found a group of hunters only two miles from here."

Orpheus stiffened immediately, his expression going hard in a way that made Ruby shiver, "Gather men and meet me at the training yard."

"Yes, sire."

"Now."

Jeffery disappeared with the barest stir of wind.

Orpheus rushed through the curtain to the back of his room without a word. A few seconds later, stepped out in a black jacket with weapons strapped beneath. Ruby could barely make out his stone cold eyes beneath. They landed on her, "I have to go deal with this. I promise to find you later."

Ruby wanted to argue, but knew it was futile. So, she only nodded and hurried of the room. The air stirred and he was gone.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~~ ~ ~ ~~ ~ ~ ~~ ~ ~ ~~ ~ ~

Thank you for reading! Don't forget to give this chapter a VOTE to help my story!