Chapter Forty

Ruby's stomach was fluttering when she woke. There were no classes today. According to Sonya, the meteor showers were important events to vampires. Mainly because they used to worship the night sky. Nowadays that is a dead religion, but the idea still made Ruby's gut twist.

Bright sunlight streamed through her windows. She turned onto her side, watching the stream of light shift with the trees outside on her floor. Today, she'd enjoy. Ruby would consider it illegal for anything bad to happen. Even if she was the transgressor. So, she laid there for long, luxurious minutes before getting up and running a bath.

After bathing and dressing, she walked to Halle's room. The girl was already on her way to the cafeteria when Ruby arrived, so they walked together. She didn't tell Halle about the incident the day before with her challenge, only explained how she could now use her power as a weapon.

"That's great!" She cheered, "You have to show me it!"

"Of course," Ruby said, hiding the fear that idea evoked.

The cafeteria was loud with talk of the watch party, and for the first time that week, Ruby joined in surprising both herself and her friends.

"I can't wait to recieve my dress," Halle said, smiling dreamily.

Sonya laughed, "I saw mine just yesterday and I love it!"

"What are you guys talking about?" Ruby asked.

They both turned to her with quizical stares, "You didn't know that you needed to make a dress order?" Sonya asked.

Her heart plummeted through the floor, "What? When?"

"Monday, when they were handing out the flyers?"

"Ruby, everyone had been talking about it," Halle added.

She sighed, "Well, I don't have a dress then."

Jeremy nudged her, a small smile on his face, "Sure you do."

"Yeah," Halle said, "you have a lot in your closet."

"You're right. Will you come help me pick one?" Ruby asked. She smiled, trying to keep her good mood.

Halle nodded, "Of course!"

"Can I join you guys?" Sonya asked.

"Yes, please! I need you to help with my hair. How do you do that twisting thing?"

"Well," Jeremy sighed, "This is my out. I'll see you guys later."

"Where are you going?" Ruby asked.

Sonya gave her a sly grin, "To see his girlfriend."

"She's not my girlfriend," he said, though his cheeks reddened.

Understanding dawned on her, "Are you and Viviene together?"

He scrubbed the back of his neck, "No. I have to go."

"Jere-" He was gone before Sonya could utter another word. The girls laughed.

The three of them spent the rest of their meals discussing when they'd meet up. Halle had been asked to go with a girl in her Combat training class and Sonya was going with her own friends. Ruby didn't offer who her date was and thankfully, was able to avoid the topic. She liked the idea of catching all of them off guard.

After, time seemed to fly by. With her day free, Ruby used it to explore the mansion and to get better familiar with it. At one point, she ended up at the library and was trapped in the pages of a book for hours. Once she'd finally looked up, she rushed out and back to her room where Halle and Sonya were waiting on her bed.

And on her bed were piles of dresses, jewelry, hair tools, makeup, and more. Ruby's brows shot up at the sight, "I know I complained of not having a dress but this is a bit much don't you think?"

Sonya scoffed, "This is the biggest party of this fall, you should have options."

"What she said," Halle said, smiling.

Ruby laughed, "Okay. Show me what you got."

The girls began digging through their piles, shoving dresses at her to try on. She'd just strutted out in a fancy purple piece when there was a knock at the door. They shared equal looks of confusion.

"Come in," Ruby said warily.

The door pushed open and Emelia walked in carrying a tall black dress bag and a pair of heels in her hand. Her eyes locked on Ruby, then trailed up and down her. Ruby shot dark looks at her friends, wondering who would have invited her. Both shook their heads.

"Don't worry," Emelia said in a taunting tone, "I'm not here to crash your party. Only to deliver these."

"But I didn't order a dress."

"You didn't," Emelia laid down the stuff among the mess upon the bed. With a crook to her red painted mouth she added, "But the lord did."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~~ ~ ~ ~~ ~ ~ ~~ ~ ~ ~~ ~ ~
I wouldn't trust Emelia smh.

Thank you for reading! Don't forget to give this chapter a VOTE to help my story!