Chapter 3

3. Scandals between Friends

Chase knew he was in deep shit when the mere thought of LaCienega brought a smile to his face. He had no idea how he had fallen for her in the short month that he had known her. It wasn't just the fact that her looks fulfilled his most intimate sexual fantasies, but the fact that he enjoyed being in her presence altogether.

He loved listening to her babble about her day, loved watching her smile when she was in a cheerful mood, loved hearing her laugh when she thought something was funny and even loved the way she gave him that look when she thought he was 100% bullshit. He couldn't get enough of her---especially since the only time he really got to see her was when he was with Jace.

It was probably the cruellest feeling in the world, knowing that what you want is out of reach, but even more so because it was wrong to even pursue it. As much as he liked spending time with Jace and being rewarded with an occasional glimpse or conversation with LaCienega, he hated seeing her snuggle up to him or when they kissed.

Even hanging out with Seth had become painful. While Chase was still bed hopping on a daily basis, Seth was happily engaged and planning his wedding that was to be held sometime next year. It seemed like everywhere he went someone had a girlfriend or a fiancée that they can cuddle up to on a night in. He was the only one he knew who never had a serious relationship and so came when he was feeling lazy and had a night in, he was utterly and completely alone.

Or at least that was what happened up until Jace showed up at his door. "What the hell are you doing here?" He asked with raised eyebrows. "I thought it was LaCienega's birthday today and you were spending the night together."

Jace frowned and let out a breath of exasperation. "I know. We were. Except something came up last minute at work and I have to drive down to Santa Monica to meet a client right now," he said with a look of dejection. "I hate not being able to give her something for her birthday, but if I drive home now, I'd be really late and since I was driving by your place, I thought I could drop this off."

Chase took the small, delicately wrapped box from Jace's hands and scowled. "And what do you expect me to do with it?"

"Well, I was thinking you could drive by my place and give it to her for me."

"Give it to her yourself." He angrily shoved the gift back. "It's her birthday tonight and she's not spending it with her family or friends---just you. There's a reason for that you know and I don't think it's for some half-ass present."

Jace stood back, momentarily shocked by the intensity of his words before desperation took over. "Please Chase," he said pushing it back into his friend's hands. "She's all dressed up waiting for me to pick her up at home. I really don't want her to spend her birthday alone. I didn't cancel the reservation for dinner so maybe you can take her out in my place instead? Please. Just do this one thing for me. I don't want her loitering around the house by herself on her birthday."

Sighing, Chase finally gave in. He had also picked up a present for LaCienega, but was waiting till the next time he saw her to give it to her. Now might as well be a good time. "Aren't you worried I'm going to make a move on her at all?" He asked out of curiosity. "You know I think she's hot."